Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Push hard and live
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago I sold the spare engine left over from the Full Monty project. The buyer intends to build a 33 replica, but I'm not closely tracking that element.

Anyway, the deal included me doing a rebuild on it, which is coming along nicely.

I realized the other day that I rebuilt my first Alfa engine in 1971. So, this will certainly be my last. Fifty years after the first.

Wood Gas Motor vehicle Engineering Metal

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

White Black Bicycle part Font Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wood Gas

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Bicycle part Machine

White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Gas

Motor vehicle Machine tool Gas Engineering Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Hey now Don, that's quite a way to go out, with a Montreal V8! I don't think I've ever seen a 90 degree V8 with a crank set so deeply within the block as that. Amazing... it looks almost indestructible. Those are some great photos that reveal the thought and engineering prowess that went into these motors. I could stare at all this for at least a couple of hours.

Reactions: PSk

·
Push hard and live
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a guy in Italy that swears the type 33 engine is a direct ancestor of the Montreal. As "proof" he claims to own an experimental type 33 head with four valves per cylinder, and that it fits the Montreal! I asked if perhaps his 4-valve head was an Autodelta unit for the four-cylinder, and he never replied.

The other day I was momentarily confused, and tried to slide the left head onto the right side studs. Wouldn't go.

in other words, I have no idea if a Montreal head will go onto a Nord. It's got entirely different oiling, so even if it fit, I'd say it's a bit too hard.

·
Push hard and live
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are both V8s. They were both built by Alfa.

Ford built the flat head V8, then later, the SBF.

That about covers it. All else is details and wishful thinking.

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Is the cylinder spacing the same as the 4 cylinder? Has anybody tried putting a Montreal head on a Nord 4 cylinder as the include valve angle appears to be narrower and the inlet port angle looks better ...

Pete
Why on earth would you want to do that? 😊

Montes valve inclination is at 48 or 46 degrees I forget.

the busso and TS Nord are at the tighter 46 degrees angle already with the latter having an additional plug just like the the late 33 pre-4v race heads if memory serves. They also have a better intake to exhaust more modern intake/exhaust port size ratio.

But I like your thinking nevertheless 😉

·
Registered
206 Posts
Fair lot of thread drift going on here.
I would like to give Don a big thumbs up for the posts and photos he has posted on this forum, especially 'The Full Monty' so much information there.
Hope you enjoy your retirement and don't be a stranger on here, you have a lot of knowledge.
Regards Geoff.

·
Push hard and live
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A brief pause to reflect.

Awaiting a few bits that went walkabout in the 6+ years of storage. Larry D to the rescue.

I'm trying to remember the details of distributor/wire timing. I figured it out once, so it should surface at some point.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Light Motor vehicle Musical instrument Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Product Motor vehicle Metalworking Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Fair lot of thread drift going on here.
I would like to give Don a big thumbs up for the posts and photos he has posted on this forum, especially 'The Full Monty' so much information there.
Hope you enjoy your retirement and don't be a stranger on here, you have a lot of knowledge.
Regards Geoff.
Absolutely. Stay in touch Don.
Can I suggest a thread entailing some of your aircraft adventures over the next decade :giggle:

·
Push hard and live
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm nearing the end of this, the final build. Went reasonably smoothly. One stripped intake stud. Finessed it out without drama. Haven't located the oil drain plug, am waiting on ignition wires, and a couple tiny bits from Tracy.

Turning it back upright by myself was a thrill. Three failed efforts, and a bashed kneecap. I had previously tested this engine stand and knew it could handle a free-rotating Monty engine. Finally, a booster bar in the end of the stand axle got it done.

Product Motor vehicle Black Flash photography Font

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Machine tool Gas Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Locomotive Steam engine

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive design Motor vehicle Engineering Rim Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Industry

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a multi-variable plan in play.

The day after we arrive in Bogota, I have a meeting with the company that claims they can get me permission to bring the plane down. It won't be free.

My friend, and world famous photographer, Keith Wilson, is due to come down from the UK later in 2022, to begin a series of hair raising exploits, documented by his remarkable photography. You will all be expected to purchase one, or more, expensive coffee-table size, graphically-illustrated books that we hope will result.

By then, I will also have determined if I can ship down my 77 Spider, which is being lent to my nephew in Houston in the meantime.

After I told him my story of very nearly being arrested for committing a terroristic act in Elko, NV a couple of weeks ago, he shared his tale of being handcuffed and stuffed into the back of a young and overly enthusiastic cop's cruiser. A little later, after consulting with an older and wiser backup, the young cop let my nephew out of the backseat, whereupon nephew handed him the no-longer locked cuffs that he'd unlocked while chilling in the cruiser.

This reignited the young cop's animus, and got my nephew a night in a cot for "aggravated smarta$$ery", or something similar.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Don I've told you about those burnouts.... anything these days that involves cars, fossil fuels and smoking tires is considered domestic terrorism, man. ;);)
That nephew better take good care of your Spider!

·
Push hard and live
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don I've told you about those burnouts.... anything these days that involves cars, fossil fuels and smoking tires is considered domestic terrorism, man. ;);)
That nephew better take good care of your Spider!
My terrorism scare resulted from a mid-trip landing in the Mooney so my wife and her friend could take a quick pee break.

It's too long to type this morning. Suffice to say, facing a couple of 20-something cops fresh from stony-face "intimidate and control" school, or sharing a small aircraft cabin with displeased and urgently squirming women, the cop seems like mild amusement.

·
Push hard and live
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Side note...

Mostly, Alfa uses "wavy washers" as locking devices. Yeah, questionable at best, but we're not going to chew up that nice aluminum with split washers.

Over the years I've built up a fairly robust stock of fasteners, both OE, and new. As this engine is likely to be more for show than daily driver, I've used mostly new or freshly replated OE.

Yesterday, I encountered TWO defective split washers, both new. The first was when I was removing the lower oil crossover tube to install new O-rings. A new split washer had broken in half during the previous assembly. It's unlikely this would have created a problem if left undiscovered, but kinda eyebrow-raising.

The second was a new split washer where the ends overlapped, preventing it from compressing completely during assembly. Both washers were being used on steel, not aluminum, and located in the bottom of the engine. A failure would have probably appeared on the oil pan magnet. Now, what is one's response if you pull out a complete bolt and TWO nuts attached to the magnet?

• Wow
Reactions: PSk and alfaloco
1 - 20 of 29 Posts