Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yep, that would be in my garage for a while to experience if I wouldn't have blown all my money on another Lancia a month ago ...

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
That is definitely a good one, and even ignoring the low mileage, I don't see how anyone could re-create it without spending a small fortune... It will be interesting to see what it goes for... Thanks for sharing, SS.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
This one is just about as good as they get. It's being sold by Rob Sass, the 'Affordable Classics' contributor for Sports Car Market. If memory serves, he bought it on Craigslist a few SCM issues ago (whatever that translates to in real time).

The 1800 twincam is a little gutless in USA emissions trim (the '81 2000 FI engine is the best), but it's incredibly easy to tune, and a 50% increase in hp over stock is simple, while still retaining great drivability. The handling of these things is just amazing. I've had 3 Beta Coupes over the years; if I had the garage space, this one would be my 4th.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
drooling all over my keyboard!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Only bad luck prevented me from buying that car. Just a few weeks ago I spent a fortune on remodels for my house and am currently pretty well maxed out. 6 months either way and it would be mine - I'd have won that auction somehow!

My first car was a '76 Coupe I got handed-down to me from my father and it was fantastic but I didn't appreciate it. I beat the hell out of it so it wasn't reliable. When my Dad offered to help me buy a Honda CRX I jumped at it. Always regretted it - not buying the Honda but letting go of the Lancia. The CRX was a tremendous car. Fast, great handling and took all the pounding I gave it for 180k miles virtually trouble-free. My buddy has put on another 40 or 50k and it still runs like new. But that Lancia just had soul. ANd was to this day probably the most poised and balanced car I've ever driven.

I've always said if I came across one without a crack in the dash (they ALL cracked) I'd buy it. Well, there it was and I just couldn't swing it. Dang.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts