Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today was the annual Anti-Football Run in Marin and as usual there were piles of crazy exotic cars. Unfortunately, I didn't make it, but when looking through these photos: Norman S. Weinfeld's Albums I came across a white Lancia coupe with pininfarina badges. What is it??

Attachments

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Jeff, here's a little more info than on the other thread:

It's a 1963 Lancia Flaminia 3C 2.8 Coupe Speciale, designed and built by Pininfarina for the 1963 Turin Salon and then retained by Pininfarina for personal use. In 1972, Dick Buckingham Jr., then president of the American Lancia Club, bought the car directly from Pininfarina and imported it to the US. Dick showed it at Pebble in 1989 (3rd in Class), and just offered at Gooding's Monterey sale this past August (it was unsold on an estimate of $200k - $240k, but it may have sold privately after the auction). We're running a brief article on the car by Dick in the upcoming issue of Lanciana.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ed, I'll look forward to seeing the article!

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Thanks Ed, I'll look forward to seeing the article!

Happy New Year!
Happy New Year to you, too. The Anti-Football Run looks like an amazing event. Nothing of that quality around here, unfortunately; had to make do with a run through the Malibu canyons. Glorious day--sunny, 60s. Nice run until I got stuck behind a Viper near the top of Latigo Canyon--license plate read "XS BHP"; sadly, also XS width and XS understeer...

I just put the issue of Lanciana to bed this afternoon; it goes to the printer for proofs on Monday. It's a 48pp double issue, with lots of coverage of Pebble, and an article about a cross-country run on US Hwy 6 by a handful of classic Lancias including a Fulvia Sport 1600. And a 1-page article by Dick Buckingham about his ownership of that one-off Flaminia.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
SCM indicates that the car sold in Monterey for $132k - Way below estimate and potentially a great deal in a few years.

Car is stunning, lots of Flavia elements up front, great profile, not so great rear light cluster treatment. I thought it was a steal at Gooding's. Look forward to Lanciana.

Mike

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Gooding may have brokered a private deal post-auction; their online auction results don't show it as a sale.

I saw it at the Gooding preview and thought it was very interesting--a great '60s show car look, but with some slightly odd details. But I agree; $132k seems cheap for a one-off coachbuilt Flaminia with an outstanding provenance. Definitely well bought.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
It appears Mike Baum and I were right about $132k being cheap two years ago. Fantasy Junction has it priced at $275k.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I don't agree with the dealer's note.
Battista Farina already had his personal car, the Florida II, and he couldn't drive this Speciale in 1965 because he was patient in an hospital and he died on April 3, 1966. He never mentioned this car in his posthumous biography and the car never had an Italian plate. The EE plate in some photos is a plate assigned to the foreign people wich bought a car in Italy. EE stand for Escursionisti Esteri (foreign tourists). I know an US citizen who lived in Italy, he was a manager of an oil company, bought the car in 1968, not in 1972.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I would assume that Fantasy Junction got that history of the car from Dick Buckingham himself, and--correct or not--he's always maintained that he acquired the car directly from Pininfarina.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Greetings from Hong Kong. Steep asking price as Ed notes, stunning car nevertheless. Though, my heart is with the conventional Pininfarina coupe. Extremely stylish, groundbreaking, Best-driving one of the Flaminia series, completely undervalued.

Mike

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Greetings from Hong Kong. Steep asking price as Ed notes, stunning car nevertheless. Though, my heart is with the conventional Pininfarina coupe. Extremely stylish, groundbreaking, Best-driving one of the Flaminia series, completely undervalued.

Mike
Amen, Mike. I'd just love a 2.8L PF Coupe...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Completely stunning interior! Makes you long for endless drives along the Hgw one! Never even heard about this one off before today, so thank you, guys!
Still being without Lancia here on the west coast, this is a terrific pain relief :)

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Mike,
I thought $132k was cheap two years ago, so I don't think the asking is absurd. It seems a little high, but not much.

I'm also a fan of the standard PF Coupé, but this speciale is really stunning in the flesh. It's got real presence.

And besides; how can you not like the only Flaminia with a Flavia PF Coupé front end?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Interesting looking Flavia on ebay at the moment, not much information and not great pictures but would love to hear what people think of it:

Other Makes | eBay

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
As an ex-owner of those, my recommendation would be to pay the money for the best in the world and enjoy. Those are completely fabulous cars and highly underrated and undervalued. I do not think there is a better, mid-sized GT from the mid-60's than the Flavia.

But they are horrible and expensive to restore and you will never ever by upside on them. You get fantastic examples (Thorough, diligent inspection is an absolute must!) in Europe, starting at ~Euro 12k, with the best MAYBE breaking Euro 20k. So why bother with a restoration?

Mike

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I've been following the eBay car for a couple of days, out of curiosity only. Personally, an "extraordinarily rare" RHD wouldn't interest me. Frankly, RHD's not extraordinarily rare--there were only 252 RHD Coupés assembled in South Africa, but there were also a number of Torino-built RHDs for the UK. More to the point, outside of the UK or Japan, RHD's just not that desireable.

And if the reserve is anywhere near the Buy-It-Now price, professional paint and interior alone will put you upside down, even if everything else is OK. But if it's structurally and mechanically sound, and you can handle paint and upholstery yourself, you could probably get through it in decent shape (providing you're OK with RHD). If, on the other hand, it has significant structural or mechanical issues, it's already fully priced at the current $2650 bid.

In response to a question about rust, some of which can be seen in the photos, the seller says "No, it doesn't have any significant rust. It is the aluminum body as you likely know." Of course, as the seller really ought to know, it's actually a steel body. So even though the seller is a dealer who has handled a number of obscure cars, including Lancias, I'd use some caution here.

In the end, I'd have to strongly second Mike's recommendation--much better to buy a good original or a restored example than to pay for a restoration. And he's exactly right on the numbers; here's a very clean (LHD) original 1500, in great colors, with an asking of €12,500:
1966/7 Lancia Flavia Coupé PininFarina, 1500cc ,Doctor`s car for sale: Anamera

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Nice car, unbeatable colors. I know the Lancia Pope in Switzerland should anybody decide to check this one out - Prudent to be careful with Swiss cars due to weather over there though this car has Italian plates.

I might want to look for a 1800 - More hp. torque and, I think better breaks (Girling instead of Dunlop? Not sure if I get it right but Ed and Adan will know).

Shouldn't a 66 be already a 1800? My 65 sure was ...

Mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts