Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am currently looking at buying a Lancia Fulvia but don't know a huge amount about the cars. I've looked at quite a few cars on the internet to help determine what series I want etc and stumbled across an old posting on Bring a trailer. They had listed a car that I just love the look of. It was listed as a 1971 Fulvia 1.3S. however it's had wider arches put on the car and the grill looks different to other 71 cars I've seen advertised. Some appear to have body coloured headlamp surrounds and some seem to be black plastic.

Could someone help identify what model this is and what modifications the car has on it? I particularly like the wide arches which seem to be much wider than other HF replica arches I've seen. Any help identifying which arches are on this car would be much appreciated

Thanks

Trevor

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You might repost your question here, Fulvia Forum
Not sure where you live, guessing U.S.
As you probably have seen on BaT, Ed L is very knowledgeable and he is on Lancia forum above.
I have a stock S1 1.3 RallyS, great car.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,865 Posts
Trevor, I don`t know which arches are on this car (ie brand or where sold) but the car looks like it is over tyred being a 1.3S and being lowered with no doubt stiffer springing than normal is likely to be a disappointment - it is a customised car with later series 2/series 3 black plastic grille, the first series 2 having a polished metal grille. It is my opinion that a 1.3S is best left in standard form re tyre width and suspension settings which are more than enough for excellent road holding, handling and ride.
We have in our collection of cars a `71 1.3S and experience has taught us that Lancia really did know their stuff with this car - they are very agile and fluid as is (but with right quality tyres and shocks)

·
Registered
426 Posts
he's right

When I bought my series 2 1.3S it had the wrong tires, too wide and
low. Replacing with correct size made the car a delight to drive!

·
Registered
2 Posts
FUlvia

The grille looks to be blacked-out, to me. The arches are add ons. The "S" cars are similar to the HF machines, and many are purloined as the real deal. I trust you know the hood, doors, and trunkdeck are in alloy???
Ihappen to have an HF, series I which has been mine for some thirty years. Should your deal go south, please contact me, as I will be selling my rather excellent car soon ! I also have an alloy Sport Zagato, series I which will go to a new owner. Regards, Wmrd

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,865 Posts
I hate to spoil the illusion but series 2 "S" models are not fitted with alloy bonnet, doors or bootlid and quite different from the HF cars.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Sorry -- I'm spending very little time on the Alfa BB these days, so someone just brought this to my attention. As others have pointed out, it's a standard S2 Coupé that's been modified.

The "Group 4" wheel arches are available from Italian sellers:
( http://www.ricambirossocorsa.it/en/214-fiberglass-style-by-ricambirossocorsa ), among others.

The grille and headlight surrounds have been blacked out, like a Fulvia '3', and fake 'fanalone' have been added. As someone who spends more time than I care to debunking fake HFs, I'm not wild about that conversion. I wouldn't be able to help you find those parts.

As Richard points out, "S" was just a designation for the 818.303 engine. The first Coupés, with the 1216cc (818.130) engine, were all steel. The late 1.2s (including the 1231cc [818.202] cars) and the "non-S" 1298cc (with the 818,302 engine) were given alloy doors and lids. The entire door construction is alloy, not just the skin. When the S1 1,3S was introduced, the earliest examples received whatever alloy doors and lids that remained on the production line, until they ran out, after which the S1 1,3S and all the S2 1,3S left the factory all steel. Some individual cars have added alloy panels from a scrapped non-S 1,3. They were never standard on the S.

I'll also completely endorse Richard's comments on tire width. I discussed that issue when the car was on BaT. Those appear to be 205s, which is far too wide for any street Fulvia, let alone a standard Coupé with +2 deg camber. In this case, the tires are mounted on repros of the 7" Campys that the works cars used on the 1972 MC. You can find them if you want them, but they're a lousy idea, IMO, again, especially with a + camber set-up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts