Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just wanted to pass on my experience with E3 Spark Plugs at the beginning I was very skeptical about how it was going to perform and if I was just to waste my money and perhaps damage my engine. but not at all it has improve alot how my engine runs by far. When I first install them the RPM went from 1100 jump to 1700RPM, I adjusted the idle back to 1100 and drove the car for 5 miles, check plugs very lean, add fuel to mixture, RPM Jump again to 1800. drove 5 miles. again adjust the idle to 1100. I did this 4 times I move the fuel mixer screws about 90 degrees from start. adjusted the idle 4 times. now it drives super efficient the exhaust smell very clean non toxic. and the same for 1.3 & 1.6 engines run very smooth. Now I have the timing advance, all electrical new parts, new carburator mount etc. here is how the spark plugs look after 30 miles of use. my advice if you are going to change this in your car get ready to make the necesary adjustments.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
hf

Hello. I have recently bought a 1600HF Lusso which had an altercation with a concrete bollard, to the left front, when racing. Sorry to bring up something different but the bell housing and mating plate were broken. With the two S2 1.3 coupes I have for spares, the bell housing isn't an issue, but the mating plate is. Is there anywhere I would be able to find a spare?
Best Regards
Antony

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello. I have recently bought a 1600HF Lusso which had an altercation with a concrete bollard, to the left front, when racing. Sorry to bring up something different but the bell housing and mating plate were broken. With the two S2 1.3 coupes I have for spares, the bell housing isn't an issue, but the mating plate is. Is there anywhere I would be able to find a spare?
Best Regards
Antony
can you post a picture of this part you are refering too. I do not know what is a Mating plate???

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Antony,

By "mating plate" I assume you mean the flywheel flange on the back of the engine. If that's the case, you should be able to find one for an S2, but it may be tough to find one for sale separately; you may need to buy a crankcase with the flange attached.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes it is the flywheel flange. Is it the same on the 1600 Lusso, as it is on the S2 1.3S. If it is, I already have two complete 1.3 coupes. In the parts manual they have two different numbers, and the 1600 flange has 540 stamped on it.
Thank-you for your help

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Yes it is the flywheel flange. Is it the same on the 1600 Lusso, as it is on the S2 1.3S. If it is, I already have two complete 1.3 coupes. In the parts manual they have two different numbers, and the 1600 flange has 540 stamped on it.
Thank-you for your help
Antony,

That's what I thought, which is to say that's what I was afraid of. I don't believe it's the same as a 1.3S. I needed both a flywheel flange and a crankcase for a very early 818.540 engine, with the smaller starter ring than yours. I eventually found the pair, but at a very high price. Admittedly, an early one is even tougher to find than an S2, so an S2 should be cheaper. But "cheaper" doesn't mean "cheap"--it's likely to be expensive. And it won't be blank; you'll have to live with a new engine serial number or have the replacement flange restamped.

But it should be possible to find one. There are probably a couple of places I could suggest looking, but it will depend a little on where you're located.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello. I am in Mapua, at the top of the South Island of New Zealand.
Shipping was always going to be a necessity, beyond repairing what is there.
Thanks again for your time.
Antony

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Well, it usually makes sense to start as close to home as possible, which is why I asked. You could try Grahame Ward in Australia (though I think he's in the middle of organizing his spares at the moment).

Or you could try Felix at Lancis Service Cape Town: http://www.lancia.co.za/index.php Fulvias were shipped CKD to South Africa for local-content assembly, so they seem to have a good number of spares, and their prices are quite reasonable. I've gotten a number of obscure items there; in fact, there are a couple on their way right now.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I went to E3 website, they dont list Lancia at all.
I tried to cross reference with NGK BP6ES but that didnt work either.
Can you post the part number for the plug you are using, Im interested in the plugs for a 1.3
Thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to E3 website, they dont list Lancia at all.
I tried to cross reference with NGK BP6ES but that didnt work either.
Can you post the part number for the plug you are using, Im interested in the plugs for a 1.3
Thanks
Here is the # E3.46 what car are you using this

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Seems the thread wandered a bit off the E3 plugs. I must say I am completely ignorant on the subject (don't have SPEED) but it is a worthy one to understand. Thanks. The heat range must be somewhat inexact as they seem cover many different ranges of other brands. What say anyone else? They aren't cheap.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems the thread wandered a bit off the E3 plugs. I must say I am completely ignorant on the subject (don't have SPEED) but it is a worthy one to understand. Thanks. The heat range must be somewhat inexact as they seem cover many different ranges of other brands. What say anyone else? They aren't cheap.
I was explaining the difference of one conventional spark plug and a much more High tech. in my experience was positive. as the fuel mixture had to be adjusted and create a better burn, and somewhat more performance , much smooth idle. in both engines 1.6HF & 1.3 they also take a different part #. one thing I have notice is less toxic fumes in the idle position. but also other factors come to play. and I know they are not cheap. I purchase for 5 cars. now here in California the gas I used is 91 octane it must be better if is used with 92 to 95.? less fuel adjustment?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I've seen the commercials, and I haven't tried the E3s, but I've switched from NGKs to Denso Iridium, which is a thin-electrode plug. Modern plugs like the E3 or Iridium are capable of higher heat resistance and are less prone to fouling. And that means the heat range is less critical.

BTW, a lot of prople misunderstand what heat range means; it's not the heat of the spark--it's the temperature of the plug itself. Plugs obviously generate a lot of heat, and the heat of the plug is transfered to the head. Heat range is about the relative heat transfer. "Hotter" plugs have more insulation and transfer heat to the head more slowly; therefore the plug stays hotter, and will foul less. "Colder" plugs are the opposite; they transfer heat to the head quickly, and therefore are better at maintaing safe temperatures at high rpms.

When I first got my Fulvia, I ran the published recommended NGK 8, which kept fouling. So I switched to NGK 7 (I step hotter). and it ran much noticeably better. although they were fairly sensitive to gapping. A Pertronix module in the distributor improved things. The thin-electrode Iridium runs even better still. And no more gapping pligs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i run the iridium plugs in my engine as well. i had lots of fouling issues when driving in city traffic with the regular ngk plugs. i switched to the ngk bpr7eix plugs. working great for me now, with no fouling. maybe next time i'll try the plugs adan is using. i don't expect that to be soon though.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Adan
Thanks for advice on E3. I drove with them today, seems a crisper throttle response and idles good. Less fouling than the Ngk.
Not that much money for an improvement.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Adan
Thanks for advice on E3. I drove with them today, seems a crisper throttle response and idles good. Less fouling than the Ngk.
Not that much money for an improvement.
I know same results,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts