Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am looking for a pair of above drive shafts, for a part complete derelict car a friend has found.

Can someone point me in the direction of a spares source? I am also looking for a schematic.. perhaps someone has a manual covering these.

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks Richard

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed avery useful source.....

Does anyone have a drawing of a complete Aurelia drive shaft from a manual?

Foto shows what came with car but obviously incorrect; I am led to believe left hand side is correct Aurelia? but universal joint is unknown...anyone recognise it?

Lancia territory is a serious unknown to me, is there an ABB equivalent or should I just stick to Alfas?

Can I post this here - don`t want to upset people...

Thanks Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Richard,

There are a few of us here with Lancias, but almost no one with an Aurelia, so they don't get discussed much, and posts about them probably won't get noticed by people who can actually answer your question, not just try to guess as to whom you might ask.

You'll want to take a look at this forum:
Phorum :: 75 Early Cars
Viva-Lancia is based in the Netherlands, and is probably the best international forum for Lancia. On the main Viva-Lancia page, you'll see links to Lancia documentation--manuals and parts catalogues on CD:
CD with Aurelia documentation

And you'll want to see Geoff Goldberg's Aurelia site:
Lancia Aurelia

I'm sure there are plenty of other resources, especially if you can speak Italian. But those should help.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Richard,
What you have there is an...umm...err..hmm! I'm not even sure I can see how it would work.

Attached is a photo of the inboard end assembly, and the relevant pages from the TAV for a 4th series car (series 1-3 had IRS so may be different in detail).

What you have is part# 24 (you're correct about that part being Aurelia) but nothing else original. What they've done is bolt a modern shaft to it, moving the plunge and articulation outboard of the drum brake. Goodness knows what that would do to the handling, it may even foul on full suspension travel on the wheel hub.

Essentially you need everything on the two pages. Note the cage (#24) is shrunk into the aluminium housing (see photo) which in turn is shrunk into the drum brake (the drum reacts all the separation forces generated).

Whilst some of the individual pieces are being reproduced, complete assembly's aren't, so your best bet is probably to source a complete used assembly and then inspect for wear and decide on repair or replace given what may be available new.

The system works very well, but now the youngest are 50 years old, time and inattention take its toll (should you buy second hand). Typical issues you will find are that the rubber boot has split which allows the grease out and the sliding faces of the pot joint wear. If it isn't too bad they can be metal sprayed and re-ground. Similarly lack of grease in the needle rollers (#23 both ends of shaft) cause the housings to brinell, and these will require taking out a few thou and oversize rollers fitting.

The two halves of the drive shaft are connected with a muff coupler, and people let the bolts come loose and this then wears the splines.

All things to check if you can find used components. Unfortunately this is an are which is seemingly small but is one of the expensive areas of an Aurelia to have a problem with - even with a mix of reclaimed old and available new I would imagine you'll be into $3k for a solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi ncundy

Thank you -- I think that answers all of my questions at this stage. I had no idea Lancias were so complex in comparison to Giuliettas.

I guess the inevitable part sourcing will be just as difficult but your comment about remake gives us some hope.

Really helpful, thanks, Richard.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Richard,
Neil is, unfortunately, quite correct. I see nothing Aurelia there. Nor can I imagine how it'd be bolted up to one. If it was, that's quite a bodge.

Which leads me to ask, are you sure of what you have? Do you have a picture of the car itself, and the chassis number?

Also, where are you? These pieces are heavy, and you'll be well served by getting in touch with any local Lancisti.
-Steve

·
Premium Member
26,700 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts