Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Have discovered the lambda sensor on my 24v 3.0 1996 164 has a broken body - it is in tight to the cat but wobbles if you grab it and is leaking exhaust gas.

Have a good lambda sensor from a 1996 164 twinspark and wondering if it would work as a short-term replacement. Could it be any worse than fitting one of those universal sensors? Think the connector fitment is the same too.

Another question: from cold morning starts, the engine runs fine at first but after 30 seconds starts revving to 2,000rpm for a minute or two. Could this be the warming delay for the lambda heater and if I disconnect the heater connector (two white wires) for the sensor could this help? Am considering disconnecting the lambda sensor completely until I can change it to avoid the 2,000rpm idling at cold - nasty for an Alfa engine. Would mean living with 'emergency' mode and its 4,000rpm limit but more interested in looking after the engine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I think it would run worse without the sensor.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the engine warm today, I disconnected the lambda heater connector. It took about a mile before the engine seemed to realise and the injector light came on but the car runs fine so far.
Will be interesting to see how it is on a cold start tomorrow morning. My main aim is to stop the 2,000rpm revving at idle on a cold engine until I drop in a new/non-leaking sensor.

Will find out tomorrow...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts