Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice work, Nizam!

Those shots are great!

Too bad about Phil's, Tom's and Jim's Alfas. I hope to see them at the track again soon.

Yes, you too can rent a Caterham! The one I was driving was pretty decent, however they had just gotten it on Thursday, and it wasn't set up yet. I am driving the same car in the Enduro at Buttonwillow. Will at Autocourse Inc (www.autocourseinc.com) says that by Buttonwillow it will have new cams/carbs bringing the horsepower up to 225, race tires (I actually raced on street tires at Laguna), new "short" racing windscreen, bigger brakes, and a triagulation bar (which should add some more stability). I am supplying John Morton as a co-driver, so we should be pretty fast (I hope). First time Caterham renters pay $500 for the weekend. I think he may raise the prices for next year. Reserve for Buttonwillow now! Tell Will and Virgina I sent you.

I can't wait to see Nizam's film. I hope he got some good Alfa Cup footage.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to AROSC !!

Well, what can I say. The weekend was an absolute blast!

Regardless of what people say about you (AROSC) guys, I always have a good time running with you. Terry Watson, Brad, Dennis, Terry, Steve, Alex, the Kutkus' and numerous others did so much over the weekend to make it go so smoothly. On top of that, AROSC members tend to be very friendly and helpful. It's normal to see arch enemies on the track help one another get their cars ready for the race! What a crowd!

We were sorry to see some incidents trackside, but overall we ran a pretty clean weekend.

I haven't finished downloading all the footage from my five cameras (one in-car and four around the track) so I hope to have the Alfa Cup Movie by this time next week.

Thanks again, AROSC!

·
Registered
208 Posts
who wrecked and how

what happened to Phil's car, is this Phil Guirals gtv? And is Tom's car the green spider? I left shortly after noon on sunday clue me in please.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Turn 4, continued

They didn't hit at the same time. Thge spider hit on Saturday morning, the GTV hit Sunday.

My guess is that they turned-in too early for the speed they were going. Phil said "I just ran out of rumble strips".

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, that was Phil's GTV. I don't have details, but word has it that he came around at the exit of 4. It caused serious panel rash on the passenger side of his otherwise pristine car.

Tom Sahines' Giulietta was being piloted by Mike Sahines (Tom's son) in a practice session when, according to Mike himself, the car started stepping out at the exit of turn four. He put two outside wheels on the dirt and countersteered. When all four wheels came back on the asphalt the car snapped around and shot across the track backwards/sideways into the tires on the inside of the exit of turn four.

Jim Ferris (black Alfetta GT, #76) was going into the corkscrew during the qualifying race (one of the last laps, too) when it got lose on the entry. He said the suspension was unsettled as he turned in, and the rear got away from him. He corrected, but ran nose first into the tire barrier on the right side of the corkscrew. The impact rotated the car around the tire barrier which resulted him backing into the concrete wall on the inside of 8b.

Nizam

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW - turning in too early

While I personally had a good clean weekend, I went off at the exit of 9 on the third lap of the first session on Saturday.

Reason? I turned in TOO EARLY and, well, ran out of asphalt. Luckilly, I straightened the steering wheel and let the car coast down the ruts (not a good feeling on racing suspension - more like a buckin' bronco!) scrubbing off speed. I finally arrived at turn ten via the 'dirt line' at about 30mph and with no traffic, got back on and got black flagged instantly for my precariously hanging bodywork ...

Back at the pits, a couple of zip ties did the job and went on to finish the weekend....

Here's the car after my ooops. I fared a whole lot better than Phillip, Tom or Jim! When instructors say "late apex" they mean it!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts