Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
The deep fender line at rear wheel well would indicate a GTA 1600. But why the hood snake? And what is on the trunk script?

Any other pictures of this GTA?

FWIW

Ken

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
I think this is the "plastic" GTAp referenced in Pat Braden's book. It came to light in LA a few years ago, I saw it at AROSC 40th anniv event at Willow Springs in Sept. 2012. See pics from Willow.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Man chuck some paint on the poor old girl. No need to abuse her ... sorry but yeah she is a survivor and has patina but that patina is because the paint is failing not because of race history, etc.
Pete

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
The owner built a very interesting website to share the history of that car. If only I could remember the URL ......

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Thank you.

I simply don't understand a person who obviously loves the car letting it's visual appearance deteriorate to this level. The colour red fades, you have no choice but to paint it occasionally.

Anyway extremely interesting car. Can somebody explain which part is "plastic" and who made it and why, etc.? Is there only one?
Pete

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
1600 GTA built by Autodelta with GTA junior homologated 'vetroresina' or 'plastic' doors, hood and trunk lid including sliding windows, non-flammable interior, etc.

I assume it was built as a development mule and subsequently sold to US, as the way it was built, it wouldn't have been competitive or legal in FIA events.

Anyway extremely interesting car. Can somebody explain which part is "plastic" and who made it and why, etc.? Is there only one?
Pete

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
....it's only original once.
It's not original. It's had the engine oil changed, filters, fuel, radiator water (probably), tyres, wiper blades, maybe even engine parts.

I do not understand why paint is considered a non-serviceable part? It ages and that is the end of the story. Repainting a car is just servicing the paint, does not suddenly make it non-original. Heck this car doesn't even have any dents to fix, just needs a sand down, prep and paint. Done!

A car should be maintained so it looks like it did originally! That is the true meaning of originality IMO.
Pete

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Pete,
While I don't always understand it, the "preservation class" is currently a big deal at shows in North America. I was watching a classic car show on TV recently where they located a 427 Cobra that had been untouched in barn for 40 plus years. There was a discussion on how to handle the car. It was decided, that since it recovered from someone who was the third owner, it was OK to wash and detail it. If the dust and dirt and mouse droppings had built up under the stewardship of the original owner, it would loose value if cleaned up!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Pete,
While I don't always understand it, the "preservation class" is currently a big deal at shows in North America. I was watching a classic car show on TV recently where they located a 427 Cobra that had been untouched in barn for 40 plus years. There was a discussion on how to handle the car. It was decided, that since it recovered from someone who was the third owner, it was OK to wash and detail it. If the dust and dirt and mouse droppings had built up under the stewardship of the original owner, it would loose value if cleaned up!
Really, they left the mouse droppings. I guess I have ruined GTA 752647 as second owner and removed a green garbage bag full of mouse house, droppings and nuts and there is more to come out of heater and elsewhere.

But you are right Ken, there is a current intetest in preservation I guess in part due the rarity of such cars. Google " Veloce Today" for french barn find some of which will be preserved.

Ken

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
I agree completely with Tom Yang:
tomyang.net said:
There was a California Spyder that was on display that was some kind of “survivor car,” and I’m starting to get tired of dirty cars being shown at car shows to prove that it’s a “survivor.” I admit I don’t know the history of this car, but I feel there is absolutely no reason for a car to remain dirty to prove it provenance! In the last several years, survivor cars have started to become more popular than restored cars, and their prices have been rising. Whenever there is a demand for something, there will always be someone filling the need, so I’ve seen a lot of dusty, dirty, and neglected cars being paraded around as a “survivor.”

Several years ago when the Ferrari Club of America was establishing guidelines for its new “Prevervation Class” I had many discussion with judges to understand what they were looking for. The best description I heard was “a preservation car should be a car that shows signs of loving care throughout its life like any prized possession.” Why would I want to see car that the owner barely cared enough to wash it? There is big difference between patina and dirt, and people showing cars should know the difference. I also see a lot of this with cars for sale, but that is the showmanship of a dealer or auction house selling to people who don’t understand what “survivor” really means. I really wish we could stop this nonsense.
from http://tomyang.net/blog/page/3/

And Ken IMO that post of GTV4EVR and the TV shows comments just show they are NOT car enthusiasts but thinking of potential value only ... you don't abuse something you love like that!
Pete

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I agree completely with Tom Yang:

from Blog | Tom Yang's Ferrari Restoration | Page 3

And Ken IMO that post of GTV4EVR and the TV shows comments just show they are NOT car enthusiasts but thinking of potential value only ... you don't abuse something you love like that!
Pete
Pete,
I thought I made it clear, that I didn't understand the dirty car syndrome. I much prefer shiny cars 😀
I do think you go too far when you accuse people with 40 or 50 years of activity in the car hobby of not being enthusiasts just because they recognize a current trend and try to get the best value for their clients. He did seem happy when his market research indicated it was ok to clean and detail the Cobra.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Pete,
I thought I made it clear, that I didn't understand the dirty car syndrome. I much prefer shiny cars ��
I do think you go too far when you accuse people with 40 or 50 years of activity in the car hobby of not being enthusiasts just because they recognize a current trend and try to get the best value for their clients. He did seem happy when his market research indicated it was ok to clean and detail the Cobra.
GTV4EVR, Mate I didn't mean you, I meant the TV Show!!

Apologies for the confusion.
Pete

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Pete,
I thought I made it clear, that I didn't understand the dirty car syndrome. I much prefer shiny cars ��
Ken, Mate I didn't mean you, I meant the TV Show!! You were just relaying their story.

Apologies for the confusion.
Pete

1 - 20 of 22 Posts