Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm coming to the realization that I'm lacking something. Not sure if it's specific, or what.

But the essense is that I don't have any real desire to work on many of my cars.

Not sure if there would be enough interest, but if a first car were to go, it would be a '60 Giulietta Sprint, which needs assembled. It's a rolling, painted chassis, with all but one flexible brake line installed, I have a good 1600 motor that I would run as a single carb set up. Converted to front disk brakes, and I would include the original drums.

I bought this car thinking it would be fun to have and drive. I seem to have lost that desire. And even though I've wasted plenty of money on the car, it sure seems as if it's time to let someone else finish it.

Anyone interested?

What's funny, partly due to the GTV build going on locally, and the 5 years I've been working on my own GTV project- I've even lost a lot of desire to stress myself on that car, too. Not sure what will happen to it, but I would like to try driving it, just to see what it would be like. Not sure how it will feel to the '73 that we've been driving for some time.

It's kind of sad, yes, but I sure seem to have lost all of my Alfa momentum. I do less and less every year, and have recently stopped organizing stuff. The burden had become more than the enjoyment....

Anyway, back to the original car, any interest before I broach the subject with my wife? '60 Sprint project.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
'60s Sprint

Hi Eric:

I really know exactly how you feel. I went through the same thing.
Your Burned out. You need to take a break.

I built myself a really nice garage several years back because my storage facilities and work area was so primitive. My cars, tools and parts inventory weren't well protected from weather and the security was poor. Now the new garage has ample room, contains all my car stuff and the security is good. Car stuff had started migrating into the house. That's stopped. Now, I can close the door and go in the house and now worry about it - maybe for a year or more.

I've got my Spider, a really good GTV6 and a 1750 GTV I just recently tried to sell. It didn't sell but I've had it fifteen years or so intending to fix it up. I'm currently giving the 1750 a renewed attack of energy and a lot of interest with the intent of getting it " track ready" for our National Convention. I don't think I'll make it, because of my money supply, but I may just get far along enough that I won't regret not selling the car and "cashing out".

I think the '60s Sprint are pretty cool cars. There fuel efficient, technically superior, not Bosch or Spica, and considered very desirable.
In the long run, that car may be one you want to have to run down to the grocery store on a nice summer day when you sixty and considering retirement. It will look great among all the little "Frigadaire" Fords and Kia's cars that will be on the road in the future.

You just need to take a break from the ALFA scene for a while - even for a year or two.

I think you should try that. If after a years or so, then start letting the habit go away.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bud,
I've been out since the 2007 convention, for the most part. I've not worked on the sprint since before that. For sure, I won't be at the convention this year, and it's close, hosted by friends, etc etc.

That's why I'm brining it up now.

Eric

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hi Eric,

I'm not sure how to encourage you. I know I hit burnout on my Spider, but you know, it's the only thing that's kept me sane over the past few years. I moved across country twice for job changes and all. Even though I dragged this car 2300 miles with job changes, it turns out one of my favorite Sunday activities is hanging out in the garage listening to the oldies station and turning wrenches.

Good luck friend, you'll find your muse again.

Randy

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I have 3 projects, loosing one that I'm not even thinking about is that big of a deal. And I don't have to pay storage for it anymore.

It's not as if I'm walking away from my gold GTV, just thinning the heard so that the burden of cars and storage is a lot less.

So I still want to see if there is interest in an assembly project Sprint. It's in SE MI.

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts