Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas of why my car won't rev up to 4K with ease? No noise, no back firing, etc...just a crap load of hesistation getting up to 4K.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
If it's not a fuel delivery issue (or even a bad tank of gas, if the cars been sitting too long) then I would check for air leaks in the induction system.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's not a fuel delivery issue (or even a bad tank of gas, if the cars been sitting too long) then I would check for air leaks in the induction system.
All new air/vacuum hose. Car has a month or two old gas.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
If the car has not been fired up in two months, there is a good chance the gas has gone south.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
If the car has not been fired up in two months, there is a good chance the gas has gone south.

:eek: Geeze, hate to question you there bud, but IMO 2 mos. is nothin'. I know the "new" gas available now:rolleyes: has a poor storage life but it should go further than that.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You did put the ground strap from the trans to the chassis back in when you put it back together right?
Yes sir. I also added a strap between the head and frame a few months ago trying to avoid the ground gremlins...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One word: "Stabil"
I wish I could feel comfortable saying it was the gas. I know it is more than likely not though. The car revs up to 2K just fine, but slows down to a snails pace after that, higher rpms are not AS MUCH of a problem, but still not where I remember her. I have driven her over 130mph before with no problem, but now getting to just 80mph is a problem.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Are you sure it is firing on all 4 cylinders? Remove one spark plug wire at a time and see if the idle speed changes about the same each time. If you find one that doesn't seem to drop as much (or at all) then you may have a weak or dead cylinder. If so, you need to investigate why. Each needs air/fuel, + compression + spark (at the right time) to make full power. If one cylinder isn't doing its share then one of those things is off.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you sure it is firing on all 4 cylinders? Remove one spark plug wire at a time and see if the idle speed changes about the same each time. If you find one that doesn't seem to drop as much (or at all) then you may have a weak or dead cylinder. If so, you need to investigate why. Each needs air/fuel, + compression + spark (at the right time) to make full power. If one cylinder isn't doing its share then one of those things is off.
All is good there, rock steady idle, no misfires, all new plugs and wires.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you verified cam timing? Ignition timing (rotor aimed at notch in distributor with #1 at TDC on compression)?
Not distributor timing, last time I checked the cams they were off just a hair...

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Have you figured it out yet?

Try unplugging the connector to the AFM and see if it makes any difference. It should run much worse unplugged. If not, that'd point to a problem with the AFM or its connector. Try the same with the TPS.

Here's some info about the Bosch AFM: click on AFM in the left side bar

·
Registered
47 Posts
Possibilities

Based on past experiences, (both Alfa and non-Alfa) it could be:

Fuel pump: good pressure, but low volume

O2 sensor: they are only good for a couple of years

Exhaust system blockage: if car was run for any period very rich, the converter could be partially blocked with carbon

-Wayne

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you figured it out yet?

Try unplugging the connector to the AFM and see if it makes any difference. It should run much worse unplugged. If not, that'd point to a problem with the AFM or its connector. Try the same with the TPS.

Here's some info about the Bosch AFM: click on AFM in the left side bar
Last time I had a connection problem on the AFM, my check engine light came on. Is the 1986 AFM the same as a 1990?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts