Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the original coil in my 1982 GTV6 with-sorry to admit it ::eek: with a standard coil, red, that I purchased for 30 dollars at Advance Auto Parts.
Car starts and run-it refused to start with old coil-but performance it's not the same before the old coil died..
It accelerates but I think not as much but worse still it makes a noise, like a vibration. Maybe spark it's not as hot or is missing one now and then. Should I mend my ways and purchase and original Bush Blue coil ?

Thanks for any advise given

Leonel

·
Premium Member
14,996 Posts
Is the GTV6 ignition electronic with an igniter module? If it is like the Milano ignition then the coil should have a low primary resistance - about 0.8 ohms. Coils for points ignitions usually have a primary resistance of around 3 ohms or perhaps 1.5 ohms if used with a ballast resistor. A lower resistance coil will have a higher current and will develop more energy. Your replacement coil may be resulting in less spark energy. I suppose that it could affect your performance. I bought a replacement for my Milano from either Rayce or Rockauto for about $30.

Ed Prytherch

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lack of power because of coil

I don't think the GTV6 has an ignition module. Will check the ressistance,
Thanks
L.A.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts