Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The selection of 15" performance tires has diminished. Can anyone recommend a source for 15" performance tires besides Tire Rack?

Tire Rack lists 2 15" high performance tires (HP all season). I decided to look at 16" tires and found 1 HP summer tire, 4 extreme performance summer tires, 3 ultra high performance tires, and 5 ultra high performance all season tires. Prudence and the wife dictates purchasing 15" HP all season tires.

John

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,103 Posts
16 inch wheels are too big on the car, IMO. Assuming you're looking for 195/65R15, the Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 tires are perfectly adequate for the street and are much better than anything these cars came with new, I'm sure.

It's a 1960s design with 125hp on a good day, no real need to go nuts with super sticky tires.

·
2,610 Posts
This is a typical scam. He tries to attract you to an email address, and they rip your money off. Enter the email address above in Google - he's been active on a string of auto forums.

·
Registered
97-916 Spider Ph-1 US Certified
53 Posts
The selection of 15" performance tires has diminished. Can anyone recommend a source for 15" performance tires besides Tire Rack?

Tire Rack lists 2 15" high performance tires (HP all season). I decided to look at 16" tires and found 1 HP summer tire, 4 extreme performance summer tires, 3 ultra high performance tires, and 5 ultra high performance all season tires. Prudence and the wife dictates purchasing 15" HP all season tires.

John
It is not that rims are to big IT'S the tire size if you use 16" tires you need to use a 50 or 55 type of tire EI: 205/50R16 205/55R16 that will keep the DIA. the same as A 185/70R14
the first numbers of the tire size is the width in MM so the 205 will be 20 MM wider approximately 3/4" so you need about a 1/2" of free space so the tire won't rub in turning
Ron

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
I've come down to the Continental Extreme Contact Sport in 205/50R15 for my S4 Spider. Got to replace the 205/55 series Kumhos that have been gradually going away for a year or more. It will lower the car a tad and affect my non-op speedo, but what the hey. I didn't put all that into a chassis stiffener, alignment and poly bushings to go back to the stock 195/60 series tires. I like the way my Spider handles and sticks.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with the Pirelli P4 All Season P195/65 R15's sold by Discount tire. Nice to have Italian tires on an Italian car, and at $120 each they won't break the bank.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The P4's look really nice and are ok for cruising around town. But, if you plan to drive more spirited or in a road rally, they show their short commings. I had them for a short while. They have a UTQG rating of 760 and they are very hard. I went to Avons CR6zz and it was like going from construction shoes to running shoes. (I'm not kidding). After the Avons I ran the Vred sport track 5s and they were also the cats meow.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
The P4's look really nice and are ok for cruising around town. But, if you plan to drive more spirited or in a road rally, they show their short commings. I had them for a short while. They have a UTQG rating of 760 and they are very hard. I went to Avons CR6zz and it was like going from construction shoes to running shoes. (I'm not kidding). After the Avons I ran the Vred sport track 5s and they were also the cats meow.
Thank you CafeM for sharing your experience with Avon and Vredstein tires, but the stock size for Alfa Romeo 15" wheels is 195/65, hence my suggestion of Pirelli P4's. I doubt if Avon or Vred makes tires in the 195/65 size, or if the original poster is interested in straying too far from the specified/recommended size.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
In that size, the Pirelli option is a winter tire. There are three Vred models, Hitrac, Quatrac or Sprint. No personal experience with any of those but looking for the same size.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
In that size, the Pirelli option is a winter tire. There are three Vred models, Hitrac, Quatrac or Sprint. No personal experience with any of those but looking for the same size.
I'm not sure where you are seeing "winter tire", but the Pirelli P4 in the P195/65 R15 size is an ALL SEASON tire.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts