Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left LA a few hours ago, got to Sacramento, and now let's see how far I get, once I've had dinner...heres a pic

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Did the beautiful sounding engine scare everyone away. They were afraid the Mafia arrived?

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
boy that's "purdy". ciao, jc

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
I think you will be pleased at the level of support and service up here for Alfas.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got on the road this morning, and suffered a breakdown. The ac compressor bearing had a meltdown tearing my belt apart. Now, I'm stuck near yreka, California. Who's my closest Alfa mechanic within 150-200 miles?

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
Sure it wasn't the serp idler instead? That is usually more likely to crap out, as it did with my 91S in Nowhere, Wyoming. Easier to fix.

·
Registered
545 Posts
So sorry for your bad luck, but you couldn't make to this up, you couldn't make this up.

BTW, my 1991 164L is I believe the same color as yours, Anthracite Gray.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The ac compressor was smoking. Metal to metal smell. Happened a half hour after I turned on the heater, guess ac compressor came on too, made it work till it heated up.
I'm headed to phoenix, Oregon to drop off the car at Henrys auto, closest mechanic with import experience, and then get a rental in medford, Oregon.
I just replaced the idler.

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
Wish there was a way to bypass the a/c with a different belt, etc, ie, replacing the a/c pump with another idler of some sort if this happens. Maybe a homemade bracket w/idler pulley, and a different belt, just to get down the road.

Yes, the belts probably don't line up, would have to use a double idler pulley, and two belts.

Have to admit, haven't looked at that. Surely we must be able to come up with an easy kit to do this, ie, just pull out the a/c pump and install the Rube Goldberg bracket (with mounting holes same as the pump) with idler pulley setup, and install the replacement belts, same as the original belts?

Might even work with both the 91-93 series and the 94-95 series since it would just replace the a/c pump.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
There are 2 bearings in the front end of the compressor. 1 turns when the compressor is running, the other when the compressor is off. It could be either one since the belt is torn up, but if it happened when the compressor was running (compressor clutch engaged), it's probably the compressor bearing. It's a Sanden SD 509 compressor. I suggest you get a new(remanufactured) one, but if you want a loaner to get you going, I can ship you one with a bad seal, good bearings and clutch.

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
"but if you want a loaner to get you going, I can ship you one with a bad seal, good bearings and clutch"

An old no good a/c pump could be the basis of a temp idler fix kit as I described above?

I'd have a kit like that for each of my 164's, esp the LS, the "trip" car.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Yea, it should get him going. He could charge A/C also it would only last a month or so though. I probably have a belt also.

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
Bummer that it happened, but not a common occurrence, as a/c pumps of this brand/type are used in many different cars. Just unlucky that it happened on your trip. Did have the clutch in the pump on my 91S fail on a trip in 105F weather in Sacramento a few years ago. Whew, did the insides of the car get hot. The pump in the LS seems to work perfectly, the system untouched from new.

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
If the 12v or 24v compressor clutch pulley bearing fails, you are dead in the road. If the compressor internal guts fail and you are quick enough to disengage A/C before clutch bearing fails, too you can still keep on keeping on. But if clutch puller bearing is what let go it is to late.

I would expect your clutch pulley bearing failed as it is the one that always turns when engine is running even if A/C turned off or in econ mode.

There is no easy way to bypass is on either 12v or 24v as it has to turn to run both water pump and alternator on 12v and additionally on 24v the power steering pump, too.

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
"There is no easy way to bypass is on either 12v or 24v as it has to turn to run both water pump and alternator on 12v and additionally on 24v the power steering pump, too"

Yes, but what if you have a replacement bracket/plate, which mounts in place of the a/c pump and duplicates the pulley arrangement of the a/c pump pulley setup, ie, a double pulley, mounted on a supported shaft? You would use the same belts.

Would be the same for both the 12v and 24v setup, as all it does is replace the a/c pump.

Question: did any 12v 164's come without a/c? If so, what did they use to bypass the a/c pump?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The logical emergency spare for me for a 12v car (i.e. in the event of a catastrophic compressor failure in Nowhere MT) would be to have an alternate bracket made for mounting the alternator in place of the AC compressor, like what VeeSix described seeing

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/4843450-post12.html

and also a 5-rib serpentine belt the correct length (that wouldn't be difficult to source using the European standard, such as "5PKxxxx"). That way the current serpentine tensioner could be used. So you'd have in your spare parts box in the trunk a simple alternator bracket and a serp belt.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts