Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 164L has never shown me coolant temps past the hash mark between 175 and 250. But lately its been creeping a bit, driving faster doesn't cool any faster either. Either way I'm not too concerned since outside temps are over 100°. Still, is it okay for the needle to exceed that mark? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
I wouldn't think you have a problem, as these cars seem to run anywhere between 180F to 220+F, by the gauge, without apparent problems. Sometimes during really adverse conditions, they may momentarily creep to 230+F (maybe even burp a little if the tank is too full), by the gauge, or so but the coolant, if the proper 50/50 premix, is good for ~250F-260F at ~15 psi system pressurization.

It IS felt that the gauge normally reads a little high. I think "Roadtrip" did a calibration and determined that a 47 ohm resister in the sender wire would make it more correct, ie, lower.

I would check that the coolant is proper mix (probably would change it if any question, it's cheap insurance) and that the coolant system pressurizes properly with a good coolant tank cap. If you want, you can get a laser thermal gauge from Harbor Freight and check the thermostat housing for the temp at that location. Usually, a thermostat fails open, but there have been rare occurrences where they have failed partially closed, depending on the design. Had that happen once years ago, but I don't think you have that problem.

Also check that the fan operates correctly, although that wouldn't matter at speed, just near or at idle.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My temp gauge actually reads pretty close to right on, I check it with a laser temp gun, but here in hot Dallas where the temp is often above 100 degress, my car usually runs at the short hash mark indicating about 212 degrees, and with the air conditioning ON, at the longer hash mark which I believe is 225 degees.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks guys!,I recently replaced coolant and water pump since I did the tbelt. I think I can rest now. Had to check just to be sure though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts