Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to Alfas, and this is my first big project!
I've recently acquired a complete motor and wiring harness from a '91 164. I intend to swap this for the 2.5 in my '87 Milano.I want to keep the Motronic system;but,the distributor won't fit.My question is,how do I wire the original distributor to work with Motronic? I'm not to well versed with fuel inj.,so please keep it simple.:D

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
pop the cover where the distributor would be on the Milano on the 164 motor and see if the gear has a slot. if it does then you have the slow oil pump and all you need to do is swap out the oil pump when you swap the oil pan.

if the gear has no slot then the oil pump runs faster and you can not put a distributor there. but you should also have oil jets to cool the pistons in that case.
as Alfa ran the pumps faster to give more flow to make up for the oil jets. So all blocks after x year had the faster pump and oil jets.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I popped the cover where the distributor would go,and there isn't the notched coupler. Will the oil pump,or just the shaft,from a standard 2.5/3.0 work?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
it will but if the gear does not have the slot. it has a faster ratio then 1:2 so you can not use a distributor. you could take the set out of the old head both gears have to be a set. and the head have to be removed. but then you would run low oil psi. The pumps have to be moved ether way as the 164 does not fit the 75 oil pan. There is a quite a few that run the slower pump with say a 'S' motor that has the oil jets. Running thinker oil help make up for it. And using the faster pump take a bit of work too if you go edist. if you look at my VEMS install you will see where I bought 2 new pumps. A 164 and a 75.
I used the inside of the 164 and the housing of the 75. But the 75 housing rides a tad lower. Making the shaft going to the gear a tad too short. I had to grind down the top of the gear so when I put on the nut the gear would not bind up. one of the other guys made a ball bearing thrust plate. Which might be a better way.

There many ways to go at this point.

1: take off both heads change gear sets use stock dizzy
Pros: can use stock motronic ECU
Cons: low oils PSI due to the added oil jets with out the oil output increase.
Heads have to come off

2. use the fast pump as is.
Pros: have the oil flow alfa wanted for this motor.
Cons: more work. need to mod the gear or make a thrust plate. also need to mod the ECU for edist.

Note: the motronic ran edist on many motors so it should be easy to have it moded to run 3 wasted coils. or get a newer one and have the mapes of the old one moved over.
on the 24V it ran 6 coils.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The pumps have to be moved ether way as the 164 does not fit the 75 oil pan.
Note that it is a quick and simple modification to the Milano sump to fit "over" the 164 pump - that's what I did to maintain the S-pump (but I also maintained the 164 distributor and location). Not sure if that helps the OP, though.
Jes

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting back to this a little late. I took another look at the distributor gear and realised I hadn't removed the washer on top! Yes there is a slot for the distributor. Now my question is, can I use the crank trigger sensor and bypass the module in the distributor? I would like to use the Motronic ECU, injectors, plenum and all.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
yes. just use the distributor to point at the right spark plug. just unplug hall wires.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
and I would swap over a fwd oil pump. or just get a new one. swap it when you have the oil pan off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts