Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran my 87 spider too low on gas. Now that I filled it, it won't fire. Does it need to be primed somewhere?

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
No. It might need to crank a bit longer to pump fuel through the fuel lines but there is no need for any priming or bleeding procedure. You can cycle the key on-off-on-off-on-off which will (briefly) power on the fuel pumps to send some gas up to the fuel rail.

Next is to figure out why it won't start. How low on gas did it get and for how long? The pumps do not like being run dry - the gas both cools & lubricates the pumps.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric, it got low enough where it would lose power around a turn, but didn't run dry long enough for the engine to totally die.
So when you initially turn on the key, the pumps runs momentarily?

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
So when you initially turn on the key, the pumps runs momentarily?
Yes, just for a moment.

The drive relay controls power to the fuel pumps. It gets a tachymetric signal from the coil to 'know' the engine is running. When you switch on the ignition the drive relay thinks that is the start of the tachymetric signal and sends power to the pumps. When the tachymetric signal does not continue the drive relay switches off power to the pumps.

There is also a bypass circuit to power on the pumps when the key is turned to 'start'. This ensures that the pumps are powered on during cranking - before the engine starts. Then the drive relay takes over when the engine starts & you release the key back to 'on'.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed

I didn't follow my own mantra: battery needs to be FULLY charged or an L jet car won't start. I ran it down slightly trying to get it going...that's all it takes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts