Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a no spark issue I'm determining to be pretty much everything that is the stock ignition. I'm looking to upgrade to an electronic distributor but my question is, does the Centerline Alfa unit eliminate the flywheel sensors and act as a standalone unit from the Bosch injection? I switched to this type of standalone ignition on a Harley I just finished building and it was amazing how much easier it was to install and with only 4 wires it makes life easier chasing spark issues. I also contacted RML but he doesn't have any units currently. (1986 Spider)

·
Premium Member
14,012 Posts
I am pretty sure that the strobe signal for the fuel injection originates in the ignition so you will have to figure that out if you switch to a standalone ignition.

·
Administrator
17,030 Posts
I am not familiar with any of the replacement ignition systems but I know it has been done. A stand alone ignition system/distributor will eliminate the need for the L-jet ignition computer (and the MAP sensor, too, I think). It might also eliminate the need for the flywheel sensors (but I am not sure about that). The FI's drive relay will need the 'tachymetric signal' to "know" the engine is running so it'll power on the fuel pumps. This is done with a sense wire attached to the coil. I assume this would remain if a replacement ignition system is installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts