Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,508 Posts
They all work rather well without the engine running. However, after starting the engine it causes the indicators to go erratic. Flashing at and increased rate and a little bit erratically.
I have converted two of my older cars to LED bulbs and electronic flashers and neither exhibited the symptoms you describe.

The operating voltage with the engine off is lower (~12v) than the voltage with the engine running (~14v). So something about that higher voltage seems to be causing your electronic flasher to go nuts.

Are you confident that the flasher is wired correctly? Is it possible that your flasher unit is just defective?

·
Super Moderator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,508 Posts
I think I need to go back to my supplier and ask if I can get a 12-15v relay for the same application.
The 14.4v that you measured with the engine running is normal for a "twelve volt" system. So asking your supplier for a 12-15v flasher won't get you very far - he'll just say "well, that's what you have".

I still think that the electronic flasher that you have might just be defective. But I dislike diagnosing problems by just buying new parts, so I'll stop short of advising you to get another flasher.

Alternative "B" might be to put a 12v regulator in the circuit to prevent the flasher from seeing more than 12v. Something like: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12766

1 - 2 of 2 Posts