Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Chaps,

I am in the process of replacing the lights in my 1972 2000gtv for L.E.D. Bulbs.
I have replaced the stop lamps and rear tail lights and dash lights, with excellent results.

However I now have a problem with the indicators. Having replaced all the bulbs and changed to an appropriate flasher unit. They all work rather well without the engine running. However, after starting the engine it causes the indicators to go erratic. Flashing at and increased rate and a little bit erratically.

Why so?
Is this to do with the alternator and separate voltage regulator?
Has anyone else done this, or does anyone have any ideas?

I am going to have a look at the wiring diagrams tonight and have a read around the topic.
All help or ideas greatly recieved!

Cheers
Andy.

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
They all work rather well without the engine running. However, after starting the engine it causes the indicators to go erratic. Flashing at and increased rate and a little bit erratically.
I have converted two of my older cars to LED bulbs and electronic flashers and neither exhibited the symptoms you describe.

The operating voltage with the engine off is lower (~12v) than the voltage with the engine running (~14v). So something about that higher voltage seems to be causing your electronic flasher to go nuts.

Are you confident that the flasher is wired correctly? Is it possible that your flasher unit is just defective?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alfajay,

Thank you.

I was thinking along these lines earlier but hadn't worked it out. Must be something between the engine off/on. I thought it may be a dodgy voltage regulator so I changed it for a modern spare then back again. However after your advice.........

I have just been out and checked the positive input to the relay. 12.55v with engine off (indicators working perfectly) and almost 14.4v engine running (erratic indicators).

As you say, the increased voltage must be making my flasher go nuts. I have had a look at the spec printed on it but there is not a lot to go on.

12v, 0.1w - 100w FLL308. It doesn't provide a voltage range. However I can take heart that you have achieved what I am attempting so it must be possible! I think I need to go back to my supplier and ask if I can get a 12-15v relay for the same application.

Once again, thank you for the speedy advice.

Andy.

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
I think I need to go back to my supplier and ask if I can get a 12-15v relay for the same application.
The 14.4v that you measured with the engine running is normal for a "twelve volt" system. So asking your supplier for a 12-15v flasher won't get you very far - he'll just say "well, that's what you have".

I still think that the electronic flasher that you have might just be defective. But I dislike diagnosing problems by just buying new parts, so I'll stop short of advising you to get another flasher.

Alternative "B" might be to put a 12v regulator in the circuit to prevent the flasher from seeing more than 12v. Something like: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12766

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Why are you bothering to replace them?

To me seems your creating an issue that gives you little or no gain.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I've been thinking about using LEDs in the front parking lights and in the tail lights.

In Canada new cars are required ro have day-time headlights.

Perhaps running with these on but with brighter output would be helpful?

What LEDs would fit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alfajay, thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

As you suggested I sourced a better quality relay and it all works perfectly. I've learnt a little about car electrics too.

In answer to Subtle, I got all my lights from a company in the UK called better car lighting. It's ran by a chap called Gil and he is very knowledgeable with replacing the old filament type with the exacting L.E.D. I suggest you have a look at his webpage. (Quicksilver Automotive).

Onto the next problem.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts