Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all, coming back here to seek help on my en devour
I read in the forum that KYB KG4616 and KG5517 would fit alfa's im restoring a 1974 gtv us specs
On the back suspension it seams to be tight , but in the front i wasnt able to fit is at all, later took pictures and noticed KYB were shorter that originals
Does any one had encounter this issue???
any help would be great
Thanks
Guillermo

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,817 Posts
I had KYB shocks on my Berlina but I don't remember which model. They fit fine. Maybe try jacking up the lower A arm a bit? Mine is also lowered a little bit.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,430 Posts
FYI, every Alfa I've seen with KYBs has looked jacked up on its tippy-toes from the gas pressure. Gas shocks not a good match for stock springs at all, IMO, and they ride like crap on the street. If you're trying to put it back to stock US specs it would have had non-pressurized shocks, and Konis would be a better choice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for replay
I guess will go back to usual suspects and get the right ones
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
FYI, every Alfa I've seen with KYBs has looked jacked up on its tippy-toes from the gas pressure. Gas shocks not a good match for stock springs at all, IMO, and they ride like crap on the street. If you're trying to put it back to stock US specs it would have had non-pressurized shocks, and Konis would be a better choice.
I'll second everything Gubi has written here. Alfas are light, their springs are relatively weak, so the gas pressure in the KYB's adds significantly to the spring rate. The result is a poor ride, particularly at the rear where Alfas have so little weight.

Keep in mind that KYB doesn't engineer shocks specifically for Alfas; the KYB's that you have may have been intended for a 3/4 ton truck. Some distributor just went through the shocks' dimensions and style of attachment to figure out which KYB part would physically fit an Alfa. But that doesn't mean that it's right for an Alfa.

Konis, with their ability to adjust the valving from firm to soft, offer a much better alternative.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
I suggest that you also check out SPAX shocks. I think that they are a similar price to KONI, they are good quality, they have a much greater range of adjustment and the adjustment is made with a screwdriver and without disconnecting or removing anything. I have them on all 4 corners of my Spider and I had them on the GTV6 that I sold ,last year

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I suggest that you also check out SPAX shocks. I think that they are a similar price to KONI, they are good quality, they have a much greater range of adjustment and the adjustment is made with a screwdriver and without disconnecting or removing anything. I have them on all 4 corners of my Spider and I had them on the GTV6 that I sold ,last year
A second to the SPAX suggestion. I have them on my GTV6 and have been very impressed.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Re SPAX...
I went looking and saw only references to gas-pressurised units on their website, so (following similar advice on avoiding gas units) I turned away.
Ed, are your SPAX units gas-charged? What model/number(s), if you wouldn’t mind?

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
They are low pressure gas shocks, completely different from Bilsteins and KYB's (which I don't like)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
These part numbers are not listed by KYB for Alfas. Somebody did reverse engineering.

The front KG4616 is intended for old Saab 96s and Suzuki Samurai, the rear KG5517 for a bunch of American cars and old Volvos. Maybe the front one fits with a lowered suspension. They would fit if you compress the suspension before installing them, but when the wheels will be off the ground, there will be an enormous stress in the shock trying to hold the suspension from expanding and something will break eventually.

I just measured an old Koni that was at he front of my GTV - 16,25 in extended. The spec for your KYB is 15,35 in, indeed almost an inch too short.

KYB does make shocks for our Alfas, but they are not in their catalog on the US market. Centerline and/or Vick had them some time ago, they probably got them from KYB Europe where they were in the catalog - they no longer are.

The rear shocks kinda make sense, the Volvo 122 and 1800 for which your shocks are specified are about the same size and have similar suspensions. For the front, you should get proper Alfa shocks from one of the main specialized suppliers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts