Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience with the KYB or OE shocks available from International auto parts? I only find opinions on konis and bilstiens.

I find that my car seems to bottom out (probably hits the rubber stops) when i go over any bump (this is a most likely unrestored 74 suspension) how do i know if my shocks aren't dampening enough or if it's that my springs have sagged too much? ie does anyone have reference heights for the suspension so i can see if it's riding too low?

thanks,
louis

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Take one of your front shocks off. If you can play it like an accordian, replace all of them. If its old, but not too bad, replace all of them. Use the search for opinions.
Front KG4616
Rear KG5517
Rock Auto has them for 1/2 the price. I just put them on my 89 Spider. No single item is going to make your suspension 100%. I have Bilsteins on a couple of cars, but the Spider is going to be a cushy ride. KYB's are good quality, moderate performance street shocks.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If your 33 year old Spider has its original springs, I would change them. It's long overdue no matter how much the car was pampered - seriously...

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
In addition to the good thoughts posted above, after 33 years you need to replace front and rear the suspension bushings/ball joints/tierod ends. They will cause symptoms you discribe. The springs of that era are quite robust, if they measure up even you can save about $250 by retaining them, change the bushings and shocks. I've used the KYB's (including from Rock Auto)on a number of ALFA's and like the results, firm with improved handling and ride.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I replaced the original Spica shocks on mine with the KYB's and have been happy with the way they preform. I don't autocross or race but I love long winding country roads. It's fun seeing how far over the posted warning speeds you can get through the curves.:D

Best Regards,
Paul

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been planning on doing some suspension work, and replacing the shocks is on the list.

Big Boat Fever: I want the Konis!
Reality: I can't spend $500 on shocks.

Those KYBs are looking really good at <$150 for the whole car.

Thanks for the tip. My wife thanks you, too.

-Phil

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
In the US, KYB doesn't list for Alfa 105/115. In Europe they do list a specific part number(s). As best I can tell, IAP is the only vendor in th US selling that exact part #.
The part numbers that you can order from Rock Auto is a cross-reference using a shock KYB lists for sale in the US. This practice goes back to the days when Black Bart's Emporium was in Indiana, he was one of the director of AROC and sold part for ALFA, I got my first set of KYB's from him in the early 80's for about $25.00 a piece. They work great and are correct for the car, Rock Auto just sellls them, they don't nothing about no stinkin' Alpha Romao's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is a reason why they are less than $150. I've tried KYB twice, not on Alfas, and was so disappointed the last time I removed them and put on Konis. Of course if $$$ are an issue its a different story.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
There is a reason why they are less than $150. I've tried KYB twice, not on Alfas, and was so disappointed the last time I removed them and put on Konis. Of course if $$$ are an issue its a different story.

Same here. I used KYB's on VW's and they did not perform very well. Go with Koni's if you have the $$$.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,032 Posts
Follow-up. What kind of shocks now go best on a 69SV with a Ward & Deane street suspension setup. It's a pretty tight setup for touring. Originally they used Spax gas shocks. I'm planning some suspension work and will be testing the shocks (20 years old) and would like to know a good mid-range shock in advance. As a reference, some Yoki 185/60's were too harsh; now 195/65's are much kinder on rough back roads. It's that tight for street/touring. Someone said Koni yellows would be the bill. Any good experience here is appreciated. Maybe Don or Alan are on-board? Thanks,

·
Registered
622 Posts
I just ordered the KYBs from Rock Auto

I just ordered the KYBs from Rock Auto. they should be here by mid week. I am planning on rebuilding the front susp during the next couple of weeks, so I'll let you all know how it goes. I'll try to do a before and after, as I think my shocks are the origonals. I have an 85 Spider Veloce. $146 inc shipping

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... Maybe Don or Alan are on-board? Thanks,
I don't believe they have ever posted here... If you would like Alan Ward's phone, then send me a PM and I will respond to it.

Best regards,

·
Registered
79 Posts
No experience with an SV but I ran Koni reds with a Shankle set up, springs and bars, on my 72 GTV. To this day that remains to be the best suspension upgrade on any car I've owned. The response improved and the ride was far superior to stock. I would think the same would hold true for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Alan used the KYB shocks most of the time when he raced. The very last season he switch to Koni Sports but he said he liked the KYB's better. Also just so you know what Alan sold and what he used on his car were two different things.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I've been driving my Spider quite a bit in the past month. The KYB's are fine for my purposes. Now that I think I have a good feel for the car, I'd go for a chassis stiffener first and Konis or Bilsteins next.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts