Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When feeling "rich" I splurged on a set of Koni Reds for my spider, along with new rotors, pads, and rubber brake lines.

Now that it's time to start the install, I'm feeling considerably less wealthy. :(

I also need new seat covers.

Honestly, for my street driver, will I truly feel a pronounced difference with the Konis?

Or should I exchanged them for KYBs and put the $250 credit towards the seat covers?

Thanks - Dickson

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey dickson, I got KYB's on mine from rockauto for about 30 bucks a piece. I use my car as a daily driver, and i'm happy with the ride and price of the KYBs.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,852 Posts
I have KYB's on my Berlina and I like the ride. On some cars they can be very stiff, on the Alfa that doens't seem to be the case.

I also had Koni's on the spider and they rode great. I liked the adjust-ability for the occasional track day.

Up to you, if it was me I'd go KYB and seat covers.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,050 Posts
For the record, all the Spiders I've seen with KYBs look jacked up because of the gas pressure. Not saying it's an unavoidable problem but it seems pretty common.

·
Registered
380 Posts
When feeling "rich" I splurged on a set of Koni Reds for my spider, along with new rotors, pads, and rubber brake lines.

Now that it's time to start the install, I'm feeling considerably less wealthy. :(

I also need new seat covers.

Honestly, for my street driver, will I truly feel a pronounced difference with the Konis?

Or should I exchanged them for KYBs and put the $250 credit towards the seat covers?

Thanks - Dickson
Can't comment on the KYB's with stock springs, if that is what you have, but with the IAP springs, they really firmed-up the ride and handling on my 84. The ride is firm, but the roads in FL are good and I'm happy with my decision to go with the Rock Auto KYB's also. I didnt notice a jacked up look on mine,may that comment is with regard to KYB and stock springs.

·
Premium Member
23,442 Posts
As gas shocks the KYBs have a little pressure, but they aren't that strong. I just put some on a Berlina and you/I can compress and hold them with one hand.
In general a 105/115 Alfa wants soft springs and shocks in the rear. For normal use either ought to be fine. For hard driving and track use it'll make more difference, and you really can't beat Konis and the ability to adjust. And they last seemingly forever.
Also, a lot of Spiders have sagged rear springs before front for some reason, so KYBs on the rear might prop up the sagging tail a tiny bit.
Andrew

·
Push hard and live
11,328 Posts
Having been in the imported car parts business for 25 years (now retired) and having used both KYB and Konis on various cars, it's no choice. Konis are so vastly superior that it's worth the extra. It's one thing to have a POS driver with totally dead shocks and not worth much repair investment. If you intend to actually enjoy driving your Alfa, put on the Konis. They will transform your car.

Contrary to some other posts, even the tiny amount of gas boost can change the ride height and appearance noticeably. An Alfa doesn't look better with either end jacked up higher than it was intended to be.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,050 Posts
I don't know what to tell you guys, but I've seen some Spiders with KYBs at monster truck heights around here. Probably the springs you use 'em with do make a difference.

I know that my Milano dropped at least half an inch when I replaced the gas-charged Koni rears with non-gas Koni yellows.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
As gas shocks the KYBs have a little pressure, but they aren't that strong. I just put some on a Berlina and you/I can compress and hold them with one hand.
Wow, that doesn't match my experience. The set of KYB Gas-a-just shocks I suffered with on my Giulia exerted a LOT of force - the rears where a real bear to install.

I'm guessing that the KYB company never designed a shock to specificly fit an Alfa Romeo. I'll bet that someone figured out which model of KYB shock had the same upper mount, lower mount, and length as an Alfa, and added it to their catalog. My guess is that the KBY shocks that happen to fit Alfas were originally intended for much heavier vehicles.

I have more confidence that the Koni shocks that fit Alfas were engineered to accommodate their mass and spring rate, as well as the mounting and length.

My advice for Dickson is to throw an old blanket over the seats, and keep the Konis.

·
Premium Member
23,442 Posts
I've got some crow to eat, though it's a small crow. I just this minute removed the front Spica shocks from my Berlina and bolted on new KYBs, and made before and after measurements at the top of the wheelwell. One side went up about 3/8", the other about 1/2".
Andrew

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fair enough, guys. Konis are getting installed.

The interior will get done - eventually! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts