Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every Milano I've owned has been equipped with Koni shocks. Some red, some yellow. They're good shocks. All my BMWs have Bilstein shocks and those are good too. I'd like to get some feedback as to how Bilsteins feel on the Milano in terms of handling improvement compared to the Konis.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The Bilsteins are far too harsh for the street. The main problem is the rear shocks. It feels like their high frequency damping is too stiff. Low frequency dampening feels great.

Basically, they are excellent shocks for the track, but not very good at all for driving around town. Everything gets transmitted, and I think I even bent a wheel after swtiching to the Bilsteins...they simply don't let the car absorb bumps as well. I'm not sure where I'm going with my suspension right now but I might have the rear shocks re-valved to make them more useful to me.

I've used Koni Yellows as well. Konis work well for the street as long as the adjustable reboudn isn't set too stiff. They are a pretty good compromise between comfort and sportiness.

Do a search too, you should find plenty of info on this topic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my car has Yellows up front and Reds in the rear. The rear springs are not stock and they are shorter and possibly stiffer. The overall car feels too soft for me right now and I think it's on the compression that I'm feeling it being soft. Is this typical Koni feel or might my shocks be a little worn out?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have ridden in a MK2 vw with stiff springs and bilstiens and it works great on the street, even on very rough surfaces. I rode in grants car and i agree, it is too stiff in the back for street driving, (as in it will skip sideways too much if you hit a bump in a corner, etc). Im probably going to go with koni yellows for mine when I replace the stock stuff. I dont really like how konis feel on other cars though (scirocco, turbo dodge, etc). so im not sure.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like firm cars and love the Bilsteins. They are great for the street IMHO. My TS is lowered 30mm otherwise stock (apart from urethane bushings).

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've got Bilsteins front and rear in mine and wouldn't describe them as harsh or stiff, but they could be a bit worn out. I haven't experienced Konis either.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I had Bilsteins...for free in the front. After installing them I figured out why I got them for free. You could lose all your teeth riding on them. I switched to Koni Yellows which were OK. Later on I just went with custom valved Konis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts