Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Quick piece of trivia for you all.

I picked up a complete parts car a few months ago, and when investigating the condition and what it had, we discovered some odd looking shocks on the rear. Now I know they're Koni's (obviously) and I believe the part number on it is 8000-1267.

So has anyone ever seen anything like these before? Know anything about them?

I recently put them on my car as a temporary replacement after the bottom stem (for want of a better word) on my rear left Koni Yellow that connects the shock to the DeDion snapped clean off whilst driving around town. So far I haven't felt any real difference between the two, but I'm still interested in finding out what I can.

ROCK ON
R~R

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
they are shockabsorbers with load adjusters, have seen them often
on cars with towingbars or liquigas tanks over here in Holland.

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
I've heard of having a mount break off with adjustable shocks such as Konis. Problem is that sometimes the adjustment tends to get tightened up all the way, or at least pretty much there. This is basically a no no, as often the mount evidently is not designed with that amount of stiffness in mind. Eventually, the increased fatigue loads will cause cracks to grow with time.

The adjustment feature is more for compensating for longterm wear and loss of damping in well worn shocks, not for ratcheting the stiffness up out of sight when new.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
they are shockabsorbers with load adjusters, have seen them often
on cars with towingbars or liquigas tanks over here in Holland.
yep, what he said. they are for carrying heavy stuff around without having the arse of the car dragging on the ground

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm interesting. Cheers for the help.

On the note of the Yellow though - It was set about half way between the hardest and softest settings (they weren't brand new), I spent a reasonable amount of time ensuring I had it right before I put them all on the car. The more bizarre thing was it snapped under light driving, but oh well.

Would it be possible to have a decent workshop like Fulcrum repair it? Or should I go and buy a new pair of rears?

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Used to be that Bilstien would notch the shaft and the body so you could use them as coilovers of sorts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Regarding the Konis

Mitch,

Speak to Bruce Dalziel at Leda Suspension. He is a Brisbane expert on Konis. not sure if he can fix yours but he will know the correct course of action. I bought mine new through him and he has reset them for firmer bump and rebound to match my firmer springs and torsion bars. He is quite a drive from your neck of the woods but he knows his stuff. Try him on 32053165. He also does a lot of work for several AROCA members.

Are you running at QR this Saturday? I'm pumped about it. About seven days out from every meet I get distracted from work and general life and just start thinking about the track!

Hope to see you there,

Brent

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for that Brent - What suburb is he in?

Yes I should be out at this weekends Sprints. It will be interesting to see how these current shocks hold up in comparison to the Yellows. After Saturday I'll start work on other things, body repair, paint and what not.

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
61 Posts
Leda Suspension is at Brendale, which is over near Strathpine, on the far north side of town. He advertises every month in the club magazine, so grab his address details from there.

See you Saturday mate. It could be interesting in the wet.

Brent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts