Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe i am just getting ridiculous at this point but since I just rebuilt the whole suspension in my 1991 164L with OEM rubber bushings, Koni struts, B&G springs, and put on a set of Goodyear eagle GT tires I have been experimenting with different tire air pressure values and strut settings on my car to find that optimal point with my setup. I notice a difference in ride quality and handling with even the smallest changes in tire pressure and or strut settings. Currently (meaning as of this morning, might change by lunch) I am running 31lbs in the front and 29.5lbs in the rear tires with the struts set to one full turn from soft in the front and three quarters of a turn from full soft in the rear. This seems so far to be the best setup for my car but I am still wondering what other with the Koni/B&G set up have found to be their preferred combination of tire pressure and strut setting and what type of feel you are going for with that setting, i.e. balance of ride quality versus handling. I know that there hase been some talk of this in previous posting but i was hoping to get a posting that was dedicated to this topic and with a more technical understanding of how different setting may affect these cars. Thanks, Steve

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Currently running mine full soft front & rear for daily driving - looking for ride quality versus maximum handling. When I tracked it at Road America, ran one full turn from full hard front & rear as I recall. Handled well, but right front tire rubbed on inner fender in Turn 5 (hard left) with 225/45R-17' Michelin PS2's.

Open to suggestions on better settings.

·
Premium Member
16,252 Posts
When I installed Konis on my 94LS, I compared the handling directly to my 91S on the OEM Sport setting, which I happen to like, and settled on about 2/3-3/4 firm front and rear for the same feel on the LS, based on many trial runs on the same set of curves and bumps in both cars. The adjustment knob has a range of ~18 knob flats lock to lock. I adjusted each knob to about 13-14 flats turned from full soft. I'm happy with the results. You certainly don't want to go full hard, it's not designed for you to do that as a new setting.

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
Maybe i am just getting ridiculous at this point but since I just rebuilt the whole suspension in my 1991 164L with OEM rubber bushings, Koni struts, B&G springs, and put on a set of Goodyear eagle GT tires I have been experimenting with different tire air pressure values and strut settings on my car to find that optimal point with my setup. I notice a difference in ride quality and handling with even the smallest changes in tire pressure and or strut settings. Currently (meaning as of this morning, might change by lunch) I am running 31lbs in the front and 29.5lbs in the rear tires with the struts set to one full turn from soft in the front and three quarters of a turn from full soft in the rear. This seems so far to be the best setup for my car but I am still wondering what other with the Koni/B&G set up have found to be their preferred combination of tire pressure and strut setting and what type of feel you are going for with that setting, i.e. balance of ride quality versus handling. I know that there hase been some talk of this in previous posting but i was hoping to get a posting that was dedicated to this topic and with a more technical understanding of how different setting may affect these cars. Thanks, Steve
I think it depends on the driver really. You need to experiment. I think sometimes full soft may be too soft for the springs. So I prefer to set it at 1/2 for softest and 1 full and a 1/4 turn for sporty feel.
I run mine 1 full turn front and 1 1/4 turn rear. Have fun playing with it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
On my 92 164S, I have rear Konis on 1 1/4 turn as well. That seems to be just right setting and I'm very happy with it. I still haven't tried full soft but I've heard its very sponge.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the suggestion. I have been playing around with it and feel that 3/4 of a turn both front and rear is good for around town, where I am the city roads can be fairly bad plus i have to drive over a set of train tracks to get to work. when i take it on the highway, or even better the winding mountain roads the 1 turn in the front and a little over that in the rear seems to respond really well. Salieri164 where in Boston are you located? I am moving to Medford in August. I am originally from Mass only been in Virgina because my wife has been in grad school.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hey Steve that's awesome! Welcome back! Medford is right next to Malden where I live. Let me know when you're around, I'm looking forward meeting you. If you're here on August 7th, don't miss Tutto Italiano event at Larz! Talk to you soon.
Best,
Sasha

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
Currently running mine full soft front & rear for daily driving - looking for ride quality versus maximum handling. When I tracked it at Road America, ran one full turn from full hard front & rear as I recall. Handled well, but right front tire rubbed on inner fender in Turn 5 (hard left) with 225/45R-17' Michelin PS2's.

Open to suggestions on better settings.
I have run around this last week or so with full soft. Surprisingly I like it. It still handles awesome but much more comfortable. I decided though it needed a little more and only turned it maybe a 1/4, not even and thats the way I have been running it. So nice. Like stock almost but slightly sportier. I have been running it at 1- 1 1/4 turn because It seems like full soft would be too soft and maybe bottom out the struts. It doesn't. I think almost full soft is pretty nice. I think for long highway trips maybe 1/2 turn is good enough but it is all up to the driver. I run 17" wheels with 235/40's so the softer suspension helps.

Ciao!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts