Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Can someone give me info about the settings from the adjustable KONI and Spax shocks ?

How many turns on the KONI ?

How many Clicks on spax ?

I can't find the " zero " setting on the spax

spax says there are 14 settings on it

turning screw to right making it heavier and left lighter

Do someone have experience ?

rgds and thanks

Franco

·
Registered
812 Posts
Franco:

I have the Spax all around on my car and have them set on full soft, the idea being that you can stiffen them up as they wear. I can't give you any real world data just yet since the car is still not fully assembled, but Tony at Alfa Stop recommended doing that when I got the shocks from him years ago.

I figured I would err on the soft side since I made the mistake of putting excessively stiff (and non-adjustable) yellow Konis on one of my other Alfas when I restored it and have never been happy with the ride.

·
Push hard and live
10,450 Posts
I just installed new Konis on my 102 (2000), set at full soft. Wonderful ride. I made the error once when I was in my 20's of cranking in a turn or so on a street car. Mistake. Makes the ride pretty nasty. My 102 using Konis, and Pirelli P4 205 75 16s is very pleasant and extremely stable. Everyone who gets a ride comments upon how "certain" it seems at high speed. Cornering is not really these cars forte, but I'm quite happy with how it takes a sweeping turn.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd set it up soft too.

102's seem to feel just-right when the ride resembles that of a two-man out-board-wooden-dingy on a still lake in summer.

I believe the excessive lean was designed-in by amorous Milanese mechanics who wanted to try and tip their 'HGF' into their arms over a mountain pass in the Dolomites.

·
Push hard and live
10,450 Posts
Accepting your comment for its humorous intent....

Shocks have no bearing on the amount of lean. That is a function of springs and anti-roll bar(s); the 102/106 not having one of the latter on the rear, thus ensuring significant understeer if pushed.

The memory of my first 102 is seriously clouded, but I recall it being heavy, ponderous, imprecise, and generally uninspiring to drive, except for it being my first, cool, Italian car. It had sat in a garage for who knows how long, so the shocks were probably shot in any case. Tire technology did not peak with the Michelin 165 X 400, either.

My current set up has fixed the ponderous and imprecise feeling. The only detraction from it being a total delight are a bodgy and somewhat heavy steering, and a slight tire/wheel well interference during hard left cornering at the right front. I'm working on the first part, and may yet fit the power steering as an experiment, and the latter is mainly a function of the Dayton wheels having just a touch more offset than the original wheels.

All of which is something of a digression from the original poster's request about how to set up adjustable shocks.

Full soft. If you drive it enough to have worn them to the point of needing to tighten them up, you will have gone through several engines along the way.

·
Push hard and live
10,450 Posts
Being Italian, I would assume that the two options for setting translate as "retreat" and "surrender".

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
KONI 1900 2000 2600 classic

Hi All

we are going to make NEW ORIGINAL reproductions of the front and rear shocks

from 1900 2000 and 2600 series

in the KONI black classic version and or in RED version and maybe in the yellow sport execution !!!!

These are going te be made by the original OEM : KONI factory in The Netherlands

The price depends on how many sets we can order

our goal is a setprice for euro 500,- excl. VAT ( 2x front , 2x rear )

shippingcost to EU 35,- to USA 65,- insured

Who is interested ????

rgds Franco

Attachments

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Demand may be constrained after the North American group buy last year. How many sets will you need to make of each type (minimum order), how much will they cost and how much will shipping be within Europe and to USA?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi All

FOR SALE:

I have a set L&R front SPAX NEW for sale

and a set L&R front used (only 1000 miles driven ) this set is sold

I have one front used (only 500 miles driven ) for sale

I have for sale NEW KONI front and rear NEW reproductions made by Koni

fits 1900 2000 and 2600 series

rgds Franco