Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hallo,

can someone help me? I have a 1978 Spider. When it is on neutral (no gear) and I accelerate him, it is quiet, but when I am on road its starting to knocking on the start of accelerating on all of the gears. So this is a soung that I hear from the passenger side form the motor bay. It make this: 1st gear wrrrrrr (knocking) till cca 3000 RPM than quiet, 2nd gear wrrrrr (knocking) till cca 3000 RPm than quiet a.t.c on 3rd, 4th, 5th, gear, when I change the gear down (form 4th to 3rd and to 2nd) the soud was missing....

So... what can it be? engine mounts? or..

·
Registered
954 Posts
From your description it sounds like something in the drivetrain, not the engine. I would check the guibo (the big rubber donut/flexdisc) at the tail of the driveshaft, the driveshaft support bearing, the transmission mount, and while you are down there, the u-joints.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
From your description it sounds like something in the drivetrain, not the engine. I would check the guibo (the big rubber donut/flexdisc) at the tail of the driveshaft, the driveshaft support bearing, the transmission mount, and while you are down there, the u-joints.
Yup, I concur. Another possible cause is worn bushings in the trunion arm (that bit "T" shaped part that attaches to the top/center of the rear axle. When they get sloppy, they allow the rear to move side-to-side, and the driveshaft can rub against the tunnel.

But, check the stuff that Andy suggested first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hallo all,

At firs thank you for all your reply. Thank you!

Second, You can not imaging what was this knocking coming from. I was revised all of this things what you advise to me, and also many other things (many hours under the car), and here it is! his knocking comes from throttle linkage. Under the carbs is converter, one side is connected on the the gas pedal and the other side is connected to the carbs. This converter was totaly wiggled in possition at lower gas. so I make a new one form the screw, tested it.... and miracle... the cnocking disappear.... :eek:)

Im wery hapy now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts