Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, me again!! My next issue is a knocking noise that comes from the front axle when going over uneven ground at low speeds. There is also a bad creaking noise also from the front axle under the same conditions!! does anybody know of any bushes or other components that can cause this???? Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The creaking is probably from the bushes in the front anti-roll bar or wishbones. They creak like crazy on the 156/147 when they become dry. You can either lube them with silicone spray or replace them. Beware though, that you *may* have to replace the entire wishbone per the official Alfa maintenance advice ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice1 cheers. i'll get it up in the air at work 2moro and give them a good spray. any ideas with the knocking??????? thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does it feel like its behind the pedals? Ours does it occasionally and its the rear anti-roll bar mounting rubber, which is I'm told a drop the subframe job...It looks to be the anti roll bar moving slightly across the car, rather than a knackered bush when I had it looked at, so I'll put up with it...
It worse braking hard over an uneven surface.
Cheers Rich

·
Registered
142 Posts
A good source regarding 156 info: http://www.alfa156.net/info.html

.: Front wishbone suspension :.

Particularly in cold weather and driving over speed bumps
you should watch out for squeaking from the front suspension.

This squeaking is NOT normal, but a common fault on Alfa 156.
This might have been corrected on later models, though!

It can take as little as two months from new to they make this
squeaking noise. The noise is coming from the upper front
wishbone bushes and can be fixed by greasing or just changing the
whole wishbones. The parts are not expensive and there should be
better ones available.

One tip is to check the lower wishbones. They are a bit expensive but it's
possible to squirt a little oil with a medic needle inside the rubber that
covers the wishbones connection point.

Thanks to Antti (from alt.autos.alfa-romeo) and to Krister Kalska
for this info.

If you have a very intense squeaking from the front suspension only when
you turn the steering wheel, then here is a possible solution for you:
Try to have some silicon grease on the rubber seal (on ball joint) that is
located between the upper wishbone and the vertical strut/vertical bar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info guys, looks like i've got some lubricating to do!!!!!! Bit of a long shot but i'm after a set of new wheels!! i'd like some 17's. They've gotta be genuine 2 so if any1 knows of any please let me know!!!! Cheers guys!!! (and girls if any had any input!!!!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had the same problem with our 156 2004 JTS. This is a common fault and the sway bar was replaced under warranty with a new improved version with different bushes. There is an updated swaybar available which solves the knocking. A service bulletin was sent to Alfa dealers about this. When I first approached the dealer about it they initially refused liability and denied knowledge about service bulletin ! But then, that's Rick D' Alfa ....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right, that's the front bushes greased today after work!! and with thanks to every1 the creakings gone!!! not looked into the knocking yet but i'll keep you all posted!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Chris,
I think you will find that the sway bar will still need replacing. The problem starts out as creaking from the dry bush and if not lubed enough will actually split the bush entirely. The bar can be tightened at the offending bolt with the cracked bush, but will only be a temporary fix before the knocking starts up again. I had mine replaced under warranty but 12 months later I now need to replace the replaced item (this time at my expense). I'm going to get an aftermarket item so it will not happen again.

Unfortunately you can't just replace the bush and the whole bar has to go =(

·
Registered
22 Posts
right, that's the front bushes greased today after work!! and with thanks to every1 the creakings gone!!! not looked into the knocking yet but i'll keep you all posted!!!
Your knocking can either be the ARB bushes

OR

more than likely it is the drop links.

You can get them from www.ebspares.co.uk for £10 + vat each if you are in the UK. These are NOT Alfa originals but are easier to install. There have been reports of them only lasting a few years though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Chris,
I think you will find that the sway bar will still need replacing. The problem starts out as creaking from the dry bush and if not lubed enough will actually split the bush entirely. The bar can be tightened at the offending bolt with the cracked bush, but will only be a temporary fix before the knocking starts up again. I had mine replaced under warranty but 12 months later I now need to replace the replaced item (this time at my expense). I'm going to get an aftermarket item so it will not happen again.

This is not true, you can find the bushes sold separately, I bought some from here and they are better and cheaper than ebspares.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the knocking for a month with a "squeeky" noise, wondering and bad wheel alignment.

Source to knocking was originally traced to the lower control arms bushes being worn out (not cheap!). When changed the wondering was reduced and so was th "squeeky" noise. Knocking was also reduced but not eliminated. :rolleyes:

Another visit to the mech. found worn drop links. These were replaced and all issues were eliminated... for two days!!! :eek:

Now I am back to the start with all the same issues and they are getting worse!!! :mad:

Now the top control arms and sway bar needs to be replaced!

All this is on a 2005 GT with a 120k on the clock! :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Front ARB bushes

Hi Chris,

No, you can buy very good bushes for this bar here: SILENTBLOCKS, they even provide a special grease with them.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Old thread...and I'm not a regular visitor to this production Alfas forum, but my son has a 2005 GT with the knocking problem...so:

Despite new nylon sway bar bushes, knocking remained and began to worsen. Disconnecting sway bar ends and slackening the bolts holding the bar mounts showed bar could be pushed side-to-side a few mm against the bushes, with the collars on the bar striking the bushes. Hard collar hitting hard bush in a hard mount to body.
Other forum info suggests these on these early bars it may be that this slack develops over time as the central kink in the sway bar spreads with age/pressure. Dunno...but we cut, slotted and inserted a 2-ish mm nylon spacer to fit over the bar between the collar and the bush to take up the slack...and knocking is gone.

This may well be only a temporary solution, but a couple of years worth of temporary is OK by me.
Fiddly, but do-able from the wheel well without subframe removal - just first slackened the bar mount bolts enough to assess/feel/measure the amount of sideways movement and cut something to suit. That nylon chopping board has proved to be the best $5 I've spent in years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts