Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is a continuation of my search for the knocking that my Alfa has during hard left hand turns as started here Steering Adjustment

So I started digging deeper and taking more things apart. I decided that couldn't really evaluate the suspension components until the spring pressure was released, so I removed the spring pan using the threaded rod technique.

It seems that the lower ball joint is bad, but in addition are the lower control arm bushings shot ? Here is a video:

Control Arm Bushings

I've got to believe they are bad, but a second opinion never hurts

Thanks as always !!

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
It's a little hard to say.

The inner suspension bushings are spherical bushings, so the arms can move fore-aft, as well as up-down, when the ball joint and spring pan are removed. But, the bushings should be pretty tight; from your video it looked like you weren't exerting much force to move the arms fore-aft. That suggests that the bushings are worn.

Another factor in favor of changing the bushings: you have it all apart and need to order parts anyways. Why not add four inner bushings to the order and do it all at once? Heck, order six and replace the inner bushings of the upper control arms while you're at it.

On the other hand, these things now cost $60 apiece! So you might want to consider just how much force it takes to get them to move and whether you feel any play.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AlfaJay, you are correct there is no force required to move the control arms, and as pointed out I'm there anyway so I will replace them.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, did you see the video of the play in my steering box in the previous thread ?

Previous Thread

Does that play look normal to you ?

I am hell bent on getting rid of the knocking during left turns, I won't sleep until I get this fixed :crying2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts