Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently developed a less than pleaseing problem on my '70 GT Junior. The brakes were dragging after a short drive so I went home to check it out. When I got home I parked and had to go out again and didnt look at the car. I finally got around to looking at it after a couple of days and the brake pedal was rock solid with approx. 2" of free play. The car rolls freely so there is no trapped pressure on the calipers.
I can only assume that the brake MC is cactus. Does this seem reasonable?
Hope one of you guys can help.

Mark

·
Administrator
17,509 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Initially the brakes were dragging. Then after sitting they are not dragging?

By 'rock solid pedal' do you mean the brakes are now working normally? And releasing OK?

Rather than immediately blaming the MC I'd want to know how long it's been since the brake fluid has been changed/flushed? How old are the brake hoses? I once had an old truck with a brake dragging problem. It turns out one of the hoses had an internal fault that acted like a one-way valve. Gentle application of the brakes worked OK but a firm application would cause one front brake to lock on. Loosening the bleed screw would release the pressure or waiting long enough for the brake pressure to slowly bleed past the hose fault would allow the brake to release.

HTH...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, wasn't too clear there I suppose. The pedal is rock solid although the calipers do not actuate (i.e. no brakes!!). There is 2" or so of free play at the top of stroke. So you step on the pedal, take up the free play and bang, it feels as though you are stepping on a concrete floor. I loosened the lines on the MC and fluid came out so the lines arent blocked.
Hope you can help.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts