Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Canterbury Alfas

Leon didn't bring any other cars although I believe he has 3 Ferraris to choose from plus a Bugatti plus a Maserati plus old Rileys etc. The Alfa P3 has long since been sold overseas. During Leon's tenure with the car his neighbour (Bill Clark) had one as well.

The 8C Competizione belongs to Michael Frawley.

The Christchurch SZ3.0 that someone asked about on the forum some time ago belongs to Jon Everitt. It's not registered as yet but he's working on it...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Bill wasn`t a neighbour of Leon`s- he lived the other side of the hills in Taitapu (at the time) and as a fellow Country Gents member I was priveleged to have seen Bill`s P3 being driven in anger several times when we had our closed meetings at Wigram airbase as it then was. Leon Witte`s P3 was never completely restored as I understood.
Leon`s been a collector before it was evan fashionable to be a collector and at the time Bill competed in the P3 Leon competed in his 1953 Aston Martin DB3S (sports racing car like a C type Jaguar) He and Bill (and Gavin Bain from Fazazz) have wheeled and dealed in collectables and exotica for decades but I think Leon kept more than he sold.
It always used to amuse me back in the `80`s when I used to see Leon at least 4 days a week that he took his old mum out in the Dino just like you or I would use our normal everday sedan-it even had dusty sides and dirty wheels just like typical farmers car. I think at the time he had a Daytona as well as there were a few around Christchurch at one time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hawkswood Hillclimb Nov 2010

Couple of pics from the classic car hillclimb at Hawkswood (North Canterbury) Sun 21 Nov.

Yellow car is a 1750 6C Zagato (1930); the one behind it is a Berlina 6C (1934) - bothe entered in the hillclimb and driven with verve.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Alfetta GTV2000 belongs to Mary Cornelius and Stu Brown. It gets used regularly. Used to belong to Mary's father John (previously AROCNZ President) who also has a Bell&Colvill turbo Alfetta.

·
Registered
93 Posts
AROC Canterbury drive 14-15 May 2011

Fun run to Tekapo. Pic is taken at coffee stop Terrace Downs. My newly acquired Super center stage - 43 years old and still able to foot it with the newer brigade.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, a real pity about the sunroof. Honestly - how can anyone bear to cut or drill a hole of any sort of Alfa? Apart from that it is a nice car and even though it has had a lot of attention naturally over 43 years, most things seem to be in keeping with the original. The '68 Supers (an interim model between the original version and the 69ers that went onto 14" rims) had some quite distinctive badging and steering wheel etc. It puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I nearly bought that car about 5-6 yrs ago when it belonged to a scientist that got killed in that aircrash at the end of the airport-wiped out a fair chunk of the top people (Grasslands Research?) where he worked. I remember the car was in good order and he had a thick receipts file which he showed me and a 1.24th model of the car was included. It did have some minor rust but I couldn`t get my head around the sunroof and at that time I didnt have the skills to repair so declined but it was only a month or so later he was killed. I used to see it driving down Memorial Ave the odd occasion by the new owner and was told it went to someone in West Melton. Good to see a Giulia out there-not too many in our region. I`m about to get ours out of storage and finish off the last piece of body work now I`ve got our Fulvia mobile with working brakes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A light blue Giulietta (750 / 101) sprint on the Pahiatua track (going towards Palmerston North) last Saturday - gave me a bit of a shock. Anybody know who's it is?

Simon

·
Registered
93 Posts
AROCNZ Canterbury 9 October 2011

Great turnout of people and cars to see Leon Witte's fabulous car collection, followed by a fast run out to Little River for lunch.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 85 Posts