Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove the driver's side headlight bulb. It seems that the bulb sits inside a light gray plastic connector that itself resides inside a larger black ring. It appears that I must twist the gray connector and pull back the black ring to remove the bulb. I cannot get the black twist ring to pull back from the gray connector (including the bulb). The black ring even has an arrow molded into it next to the word "OFF".

What am I mising?

-Dan

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that both high and low beam work on passenger side, but only high beam works on drivers side. The filaments do not appear broken, but they do not look the same. One filament is a consistent coil, the other might be described as having a coil with a kink in the middle. Not broken as far as I can tell.

Does the 164 have seperate fuses for left and right low beams only?

-Dan

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
You should take off the electrical socket first. There is a plastic retainer clip that you have to disengage first. The black plastic ring turns in the expected direction for right-hand threads. It doesn't back out very much as it isn't really threaded; its vanes just catch some retainers. You have to turn it about 30 degrees and then you can persuade it to come off. If it's been a while, then it will take a significant amount of persuasion. It may come off better with a bit of brake cleaner or other slippery fluid applied to it.

Then you pull out the single glass envelope containing both filaments (high and low). I believe that both are powered through the same fuse. I hope this helps.

Michael

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks atom smasher! I just installed the new lense and all is well, at least w/o respect to adjusting beam width and direction. I think I'll see how that goes until the inspection.

I posted all the above w/o consulting my manual. When I finally found it under a pile of other Alfa stuff, it confirmed the procedure and the location of the "dipped" beam fuses for the left and right filaments, respectively. Just look up fuses in the directory and, well, who knew???

Thanks just the same. You description is spot on.

-Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts