Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
That car has been around the net for $22,500 (15,900 euros) for a while. Very nice, hopefully as nice as it appears. Should do well as it looks like it's more original and cleaner than the similar one sold on ebay out of Vacaville recently. If it does well enough it may start (or boost if it already exists) a whole cottage industry of bringing these cars over from Europe where they are seemingly much more common and not as highly valued- or is it just our crap currency:(.

·
Premium Member
21,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I see it as quite similar to the Vacaville car, which I've now seen on two local drives and just love it.

I think these pristine unrestored cars from Europe are rare; many cars that came from Europe over the years were either fully, expensively restored or quickie cosmetic jobs on questionable bodies. Northern European weather is not so friendly.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
yeah, it's primarily the southern European cars that are the solid ones. Many northern Europeans go to Italy to find their classic Alfa's

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
eBay fun

I think these pristine unrestored cars from Europe are rare; many cars that came from Europe over the years were either fully, expensively restored or quickie cosmetic jobs on questionable bodies. Northern European weather is not so friendly.

Andrew
This seller can probably afford to import several more from the proceeds of his item 180157997746, a $33,100 1991 spider previously discussed here and item 180157934537, a $32,100 Triumph TR250. I met the buyer of the 91 and suggested that model based on his stated desires in an Alfa the day before he bid, but the selling price on both cars still astounds me. Some folks out there have more of the US monopoly money than they can spend in one lifetime I guess.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
The way all 4 sales should be presented IMO.

·
Registered
898 Posts
The way all 4 sales should be presented IMO.

I was thinking the same thing. Worked for the $32K GTV as well. Another thing, a day of detailing seems to be worth several thousand dollars on ebay. As an example, imagine how much better the green junior on ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Alfa-Romeo-1300-Junior_W0QQitemZ300158184436QQihZ020QQcategoryZ5356QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem would do with a detail job(the engine looks pretty dirty), write up and pictures like this TI!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Pristine European Giulias

I have to agree with Andrew that pristine european giulias are rare. I have recently moved from Germany, where i was an avid follower of the giulia market. If you take a look at what is up for grabs on www.mobile.de or www.Autoscout24.de, for example, you can get a good picture of prices / conditions / availability. There are quite a few drivers and projects in various states of decay to be had and a few good cars that are usually not all that pricy, simply because the Giulias aren't very rare and less appreciated or sought after than GT's and Spiders are. Berlinas barely even exist on the market and seem to have been almost completely forgotten.
In Germany most people will look for a car that hasn't spent its life (specially the winters) in Germany. Most of the 105's that have spent their lives driving in Germany will either need the bottom 30 centimeters of the car completely replaced or have already had that done in a, lets say, more or less inappropriate fashion, because the cost of appropriate repair just doesn't pay out (yet).
If people are importing the Giulias to North America and even earning money at it, thats fine by me... at least the cars are ending up with an appreciative owner and who knows, maybe in ten years they will be going back to Europe for horrendous prices as the Mercedes Pagodas are.
regards
Bob

Better links: http://www.mobile.de/SIDvO70a-Qh0FcE4AobjEDRRg-t-vaNexlCsAsCsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB11Iindex_cgiJ1191822404A1Iindex_cgiD1100CCarO-t-vpL~BmPA1B20n-t-vQuUnVb_X_Y_x_y~BSRA6BGNA0HinPublicA2A0A0A0/cgi-bin/index_cgi.pl?refinement=1&sr_qual=GN&formType=pkwDetail_GN&_form=search&sr_make=900&sr_modelId=-1&sr_useNetPrice=0&sr_priceFrom=-2&sr_priceTo=-2&sr_category=1100&sr_doorCount=-2&sr_powerFrom=-2&sr_powerTo=-2&sr_registrationDateFrom=1960&sr_registrationDateTo=1980&sr_mileageFrom=-2&sr_mileageTo=-2&sr_engineType=-2&sr_emissionClass=-2&sr_gear=-2&sr_airConditioning=-2&sr_model=&sr_vehicleType=-2&sr_color=-2&sr_country=-2&sr_zip=&sr_zipRadiusTo=-2&sr_damaged=0&sr_daysOldTo=-2&sr_sortOrder=0&sr_advertiserType=-2&doSearch.x=37&doSearch.y=15

http://www.autoscout24.de/List.aspx?vis=1&make=6&fregfrom=01/01/1960+00:00:00&fregto=12/31/1980+00:00:00&pricefrom=1000&cy=D&page=1&maxresults=500&results=20&ustate=N&ustate=U&um=True&sort=price&zipc=D

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think these pristine unrestored cars from Europe are rare; Andrew
FALSE: Still a lot in Italy...just look at www.ebay.it but ebay is a small part of the real market...

I paid 7000$ for a pristine unmolested 1st series Super in Milano. Put the key in ignition switch and drove it back for 400 miles. I had to take a quick decision because a guy (professional) was looking after buying the car with a lot of fresh ca$h. The car was already 'sold' in Netherlands for 12.000 Euro (around 18.00 US$), only with the pictures of Italian seller.

... many cars that came from Europe over the years were either fully, expensively restored
Andrew
True for cars from Germany ,Switzerland and Netherland. All the best cars from Italy are there by now !!

... many cars that came from Europe over the years were either fully, expensively restored or quickie cosmetic jobs
Andrew
TRUE for cars from Italy (most) Spain, Portugal and France. Value is nearly half compared to Germany and Netherland so people don't want to invest the money. hence the 'cosmetic job' tendency...

In France:

A duetto needs 2 minutes to be sold.
A coupe (Bertone GT) needs 2 hours
A Giulia needs 2 month
A berlina needs 2 years (if you give cash with the car...)

regards
Sébastien

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Very true that a lot of 'conserved' cars are still hiding in Italy. This '70 1600 S came from the original owner in Florence when German broker found it!
55,000 kms, all original ( even had the original Michelins when I got it ) and was 9,000 euro. I was lucky to be the first to look at it and I couldn't resist!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts