Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently, my '92 164L ignition key began being stubborn to turn. Just occasionally at first, but has become more frequent of late and taking longer to 'free'. This morning it took several minutes before it would turn. Tried spare key too. No difference. Am I going to have to change out the expensive ignition switch assembly ? ???? What's going on? Help!..............Realized that I don't think steering wheel had 'locked'. Seems like I was able to turn it quite a bit while fiddling with key.

·
Premium Member
27,274 Posts
Have you tried to spray key with WD-40, etc., and then inserted it? You may have to spary into key slot, too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but sure will give it a try right now....Noticed that steering wheel lock definitely does not seem to be engaging. Can turn wheel with key out. Related to problem?

·
Premium Member
27,274 Posts
No, but sure will give it a try right now....Noticed that steering wheel lock definitely does not seem to be engaging. Can turn wheel with key out. Related to problem?
Yes, probably.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried some PB Blaster on the key and sprayed WD 40 into the slot. At first blush, it does seem to have provided some benefit. Will let yo know how it does over the next couple of days. Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just in this short time, I've noticed hardly any resistance left to turning the key, since using the WD 40. Good call Steve!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Go to Lowe's or Ace, or Depot, etc and get some powered graphite in a bottle made for locks. It is the correct thing to put in a lock cylinder. Light liquid sprays can free a lock up, but WD40 (and the like) will quickly evaporate and stop doing much for you in a lock. Powdered graphite will stay in there. Put it in the locks in your house too.
Charles

·
Premium Member
16,141 Posts
Never had a great deal of luck with the old fashioned graphite stuff. I prefer a silicon or Teflon spray to lube things like that. Works for a very long time without the graphite mess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts