Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we finally did it. Just agreed to buy a 2019 Giulia ti Sport. We love the car, and hope it gives us many years of smiles. However, the dealer (non-Alfa Chrysler-Jeep dealer) only had one key fob with the car. I know that they can be expensive. Has anyone here purchased one? I saw some on eBay, and they were less than $100. Just not sure if I'd be getting the real thing or a knock-off. The nearest Alfa dealer is over an hour away from me.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
My question to that dealer would be "who has the second key fob?" Frankly, it's a ridiculous position for the dealer to take that it is unable to supply the second key fob. This is a security issue as well as a cost issue.

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
I asked my dealer how much they were and they aren't inexpensive, just south of $1,000 as I recall. If the dealer you're buying it from can't get the other one I'd have him cut the price to make getting another one less painful.

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
Pretty much like a SeaDoo key has to be programmed by a dealer after you show them the registration in your name.

·
Premium Member
15,637 Posts
"just south of $1,000"

??? Jeez. This is crazy, for something we really didn't ask for.

I'm keeping my Alfas, which need only a simple key to do everything, not something costing as much as a new smart phone.

I do hate the fact that my new to me Chevy SS comes with these types of fobs, which I don't even use for anything except for needing it nearby for starting the car, where a simple key would have done the job. Plus, now I need to worry that when I gas the car up someone doesn't jump into the car, push the stupid start button, and drive off. I have to lock the car when I gas it up. The pop out key in the fob does work to lock/unlock the doors.

I did go and buy etched metal pet ID tags for all the keys and fobs for all our cars showing what the car is, name, and phone number.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,378 Posts
They aren't cheap but also not outrageous. I believe they are about $250 + programming for a new fob, and a bit more if you want the actual metal "key" that hides inside, which then needs to be cut. We can order them by VIN number but you will need a local dealer to do the final programming/pairing to the car.

Yes you will probably have to show registration to get one from a dealer, that is SOP these days to prevent theft.

·
Premium Member
15,637 Posts
Lol, and that really makes it better? Well, I suppose, but still... $250 plus the programming and key cutting?

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
Joe is closer than I was. My big fear is washing it which is why I asked the dealer. I'm not sure how someone could steal your car while filling it up though. If you keep the fob in your pocket no one is going to steal your car.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
The fob has to be really close to the steering wheel area for the start button to be active. If the fob is outside the car the engine won't start. If you leave it running then, yes, it can be driven away without the fob.

These anti theft fobs work. Drive away car thefts are basically impossible despite urban legends about code stealing devices and so on. To steal car now you need to steal the fob or tow it away.

I'm puzzled by a new car dealer who thinks this is OK to do. FCA should be informed and the buyer should insist on two new key fobs with fresh encoding for this new car unless the dealership can produce the second fob.

·
Premium Member
15,637 Posts
"If the fob is outside the car the engine won't start"

Well, that's not quite true, as I can have the Chevy SS fob nearby, within a few feet (tried it at 5+ feet, didn't work at 10), but not necessarily in the car, and can start it. Maybe the new Giulia fobs and others are different, ie, less powerful, in order to eliminate this potential problem.

Plus, one article I've read in one of the Physics journals, talking about the electronics in the newer cars, recommended keeping the fob, when not being used, in a metal can (think Faraday cage) in the house. Evidently, with at least one brand fob, they were able to activate the car sitting in the driveway, the fob being close by in the house.

Who knows? Maybe this was true with early fobs, and not now.

Still, to my mind, this does not negate my argument that the incorporation of fob technology is not needed, an answer to a question no one asked. Esp if all I really need it for is to have it nearby in order to start the car. The rest of the operations with the car can be easily handled with a simple key, and the electrical/mechanical systems existing in our older Alfas.

·
chiuso per ferie
11,794 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
For myself the fob is the best thing since sliced bread or canned beer. No more scratches on the paint at the door handle because no matter how careful one is it still gets wear if a key is needed to lock and unlock the car. All I have to do is make sure it's in my pocket when I walk out the door and that's it. No more getting keys IN and OUT of pockets, dropping them, and having your hands free when getting in and out. The range is pretty far because it can start the car from inside the house but the car won't start if you are outside the car and someone is in the drivers seat. You'll have to hand them the fob for the car to start. There are times when I don't bother locking it when I'm coming right back because no one can start it. I suppose someone could hide in the back seat and wait for the chance to attack me from behind after I get back in but ever since the 60's I always check my six for reasons we really don't need to talk about here.

·
Premium Member
15,637 Posts
Canned beer? Ick, lol. The other stuff, if you need those assumed advantages, I guess.

We all like different things and processes. We're just not into some of this stuff if it serves no real purpose in our minds. We decided that we don't even need the so-called 'smart' phones. Wouldn't improve our lives in any real sense, esp at the cost. We are happy and comfortable living how we do. But that's just us, lol. Some other people evidently need more, regardless of the cost.

BTW, we'd be perfectly happy if the 2015 Chevy SS was no more complicated than the 164LS. What all it has in addition are not necessary attributes to our minds, something we have actually discussed as we have gotten used to driving it.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I am not sure where you get your information, but this is a fair tale.
From driving cars with such fobs. If the car will start when the fob is more than a couple of feet from the steering wheel then that manufacturer is unnecessarily using inadequate technology. No car so equipped that I have driven will allow the engine to start unless the fob is pretty close to the steering wheel. Certainly filling the gas tank with the fob in your pocket is far enough away.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Remote start is a totally different feature and of course that has long range or it wouldn't be remote start. Remote locking and unlocking also has long range nowadays but the range for the 164 for remote unlocking has always been quite short. Engine start range has always been sort in part because long range is pointless. The brake pedal has to be within reach.

The urban myth stories about devices that amplify the very weak ping given off by key fobs and then transmit that data to the accomplice who enters and starts the car are pretty much that, urban myth. Sure the technology exists but it isn't practical for car thieves to have or use. Other more primitive equipment for breaking into older car designs and boosting them for resale or even just a joyride were far cheaper and easier to use than these semi mythical radio devices. Besides only a very few brands are alleged to suffer from this software weakness.

Facts are facts. Car thefts are way, way down. Most thefts are now tow jobs or cars left running and unlocked.

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
I'm glad I asked the dealer how much one costs because that gave me even more incentive to not wash it. Although one has to wonder if putting it in the oven at under 150 for a couple of hours will revive it like a cell phone. Even though I can get through any particular corner twice as fast in the Giulia that same turn at half the speed is still more fun in the GTV or Berlina. I'm just glad I'm in the generation I am because we had the best music and the best cars. I just don't see the cars of today being classic cars in the way the Supers, Coupes, and Spiders will always be.

·
Premium Member
15,637 Posts
Better to do as others have suggested, and put a wet fob in a jar of rice, as they do with cell phones. It does a good job of removing water so I've read. Or, if you have some packets of desiccant, as we use for keeping our home safe dry inside, that would also work very well.

As far as electronic devices for stealing a car, what are those we see in the videos on line of a person being able to open a car just after the owner locks it and walks away? Takes two people to do this?

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
Either way take the battery out.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Better to do as others have suggested, and put a wet fob in a jar of rice, as they do with cell phones. It does a good job of removing water so I've read. Or, if you have some packets of desiccant, as we use for keeping our home safe dry inside, that would also work very well.

As far as electronic devices for stealing a car, what are those we see in the videos on line of a person being able to open a car just after the owner locks it and walks away? Takes two people to do this?
Keyless entry (unlocking) is different to keyless start. Having read a bit more it seems the car must locate the keyless start fob inside the car before it will accept a command to start the engine by pressing the start button. The "code stealing " devices purport to steal the latest rolling code transmitted by your car to your fob and thereby create a fake virtual fob to enable unlocking. That doesn't get the thief the engine start code. The same technology, giving this a description it really doesn't deserve, could in theory create a fake garage door opener or fake electronic key to your home.

I don't think they actually work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts