Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went to a supermarket and saw the keysmith sitting there and had nothing to do. Showed him the key of my GTV, he looked at me and asked me, what the hell is that? "Alfa Romeo," I said. "Sorry, cannot do it." he answered.

:confused:

Do I have to buy the key blank from eBay and bring it to him? I only find the GTV6 one on eBay, will they work?

Thank you.

PS I have a pretty bad habit of losing keys. :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
There is a Peugeot blank that works as well. Prolly as easy to find as a Fiat one :). A few years ago Ferrari of Seattle had some of the original OEM type with the rubber quadrifoglio top.

Ciao,

·
Supporting Vendor
4,419 Posts
The reason most locksmiths don't want to cut the OEM Alfa blanks is that they are very hard steel. I have had a hardware store try and give up, finally found a good oldschool locksmith that could cut them right.

Centerline has quite a few OEM blanks avialable.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone, I think I will buy them off eBay.

The SPider is the same as a GTV, correct?

Thank you!! :D

Roadtrip said:
The ones I got from the Auzzie company cut easily on a hardware store machine.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
aafoon said:
you can go to any locksmith and they usually have a fiat blank that works.
Indeed. I went to a few stores that had key cutting but could not find the right keys. I then went to a true locksmith and bought a set of Fiat keys.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hey Kai:

I agree with RoadTrip on this one. I got a set of ignition keys from the Australia guys on ebay that are very nice and get this....steel. No more breaking at the neck. The lock smith griped the whole time he was cutting them. Said he would rather wear the key out rather than the ignition switch. I was just excited to have what looks to be an original alfa duplicate look-alike that will last. Keys did have the black plastic cap on them as well with the clover. You need to check that those guys out. IAP did have duplicate door keys that had the clover.

And who wants FIAT in their Alfa anyway.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
John, I totally agree with you. I was not thrilled with Fiat keys at all. But I sold that Spider.

For my GTV I have a set of original Alfa keys. I replaced the ignition switch and will replace the dool handles. Unfortunately, the door locks did not come with original Alfa keys. I'll have to check with these guys in Australia to see if they carry a door key like mine. I prefer my all metal keys. Do all GTVs have this same kind of key? Or do the newer models (smooth nosed) come with plastic covered keys?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh No!!!

After looking at Kai's picture, I have just found I have been using the IGNITION key to open my GTV's door!!

I always wonder what do the other two key do. It turns out they are the key for the door!

I also found out anything that fits inside the door handle hole will unlock the door. Shxt. :eek:

The black one is my ignition and those two are handles, those three are for the car cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hmmm, so your GTV's ignition key is like the one I had on my '81 Spider. My ignition key is pictured on the right. Must be because our ignition switches are entirely different. Yours is on the column while mine is on the dash.

If my door locks weren't too messed up I'd switch the cylinders into the new handles. All in the name of keeping that cool quadrifoglio door key. Dorky huh?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kai, is that a BOSCH logo on the key??

BTW, anyone has a picture of an original 73 GTV key? I think mine is not original, not even the switch itself.

Thx.

67GTV said:
Hmmm, so your GTV's ignition key is like the one I had on my '81 Spider. My ignition key is pictured on the right. Must be because our ignition switches are entirely different. Yours is on the column while mine is on the dash.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hey Kai:

IAP has that door key with the clover leaf (quad symbol). I got brand spanking new ones from them for my spider and they look identical to yours in the pic. You could take your old tumblers to the locksmith and have him clean them up and recap the ends so they look like new and replace the ones in your new door handles.

For the ignition keys the Australia guys may have them in all metal, but mine were plastic tip with the clover leaf on the plastic.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Great! It looks like the closest Alfapro.com comes is pictured below. I'll give IAP a call. I need to order a few things from them anyways. (there's always something needed from IAP, Centerline, etc.)

I'm set for ignition keys. The new switch I bought came with two keys. They don't have an Alfa logo on them though. I don't think the original switch's key had a logo either. I'd have to dig it out.

Thanks John!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts