Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be in very soon, I'll let you all know if this lightened clutch and high pressure, pressure plate was worth the investment...

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
As you're changing clutch plate compounds, it might be worth your while to look very carefully at the flywheel roughness specs for the new stuff for when the flywheel gets machined (you are getting the flywheel resurfaced aren't you?) as it may be different that what stock calls for.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you're changing clutch plate compounds, it might be worth your while to look very carefully at the flywheel roughness specs for the new stuff for when the flywheel gets machined (you are getting the flywheel resurfaced aren't you?) as it may be different that what stock calls for.
Not yet arrived, so, no, I've not yet had the flywheel machined just yet, also, still haven't recieved my back ordered rear tranny seal from IAP yet. Still got to install rear crankshaft seal also.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was no specs included with the clutch for "roughness". This a SPEC Stage 2 (pure kevlar) clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and tool kit.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still no specs for roughness, I would of thought that the flywheel gets treated the same as rotors, just nice and flat and true, I don't see how a flywheel would be turned rough, anyone?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
It's not actually 'rough', it's how 'not smooth' they make it.

There has to be a certain amount of friction there initially (rotors too) so that things can bed in properly, otherwise you end up with slippage or chatter.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not actually 'rough', it's how 'not smooth' they make it.

There has to be a certain amount of friction there initially (rotors too) so that things can bed in properly, otherwise you end up with slippage or chatter.
I've turned many a rotors in my garage days, there was never a spec on roughness or "not smooth" for the rotors. You'd do a "fast cut" and then go over it in "slow cut" where most of the metal was shaved off uniformly.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
From the manual, complete with roughness spec.

The not scanned so well rougness numbers on the rotor:

Top number, 0.4 0.9 circular
Bottom number 0.5 1.2 radial

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the manual, complete with roughness spec.

The not scanned so well rougness numbers on the rotor:

Top number, 0.4 0.9 circular
Bottom number 0.5 1.2 radial
Thanks for those numbers, that is a smooth cut, not a rough cut. "Roughness" as described is how smooth the cut is (not smooth as in touch), meaning how fast the blade travels across the rotor, not how "rough" the rotor or flywheel will be. You must remember, the cuts are being made as the unit is spinning, roughness, would be from center out for friction, not flowing with the spin.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Either way, those numbers are helpful for me, thanks Tifosi!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts