Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of Kevin's sweet ride. Really nice paint, a little rust just behind right rear door, but she looks really good. Kevin beat me to buying this car by 1 day:) He's delighted with it. His 1st Alfa.

I told him if it were mine I wouldn't be driving it until the timing belt and tensioner were done. He brought it over today to have that done. I have never seen a timing belt so loose:( See pics. Also a pic of how far the rear belt was off. It must have been 2 teeth. Cylinders 2-6 showed 165-170 psi compression, cylinder 1, 150psi. We decided to go with it. I'm so glad we caught this when we did and he didn't drive it any longer. Today, I replaced the water pump...I've never seen one like the old one. I had to remove the crank pulley to get it off. See pic. The big protrusion below the pulley interfered with the crank pulley when I tried to get wp off. Put on new timing belt and tensioner. Had to put an extra washer on the adjuster nut to get it to clamp tightly. Tomorrow I'll finish putting new coolant hoses on and the belts guards. He should be god to go.

This 164 has received lots of love, just not enough in the right place. New brakes, RF motor mount, plugs, fuel hoses and other stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Man that's' pretty. I really like those wheels. Impossible to find in a 4 bolt pattern tho - at least over here. Just cause I'm curous, how much time to swap the belt and pump nd all the stuff you should do whilst apart? 4 5 hours? And, I'm dum but is Kevin and jckevin one and the same person?? ciao, jc

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe for some guys...I'm in 7 hrs so far, including resetting the timing with the old belt, removing all the plugs and running the compression test. I still have to replace the coolant hoses and put the timing belt guards on and I felt I was hustling all day. Guess I'm just slow.

The wheels are nice, but need refinishing.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
No sir, I'm slow, I spend 7 hours thinking how glad I am that I don't have to fiddle with that nonsense. I'm guessing Mr Steve or Mr John (Roadtrip) can do it in what? 30 minutes? Anyway, why would you retime it with the old belt? Or is it just to get it back to what it was supposed to be before taking it apart....? I'm assuming compression is to verify that nothing is bent (in theory). Either way, sounds fun......ciao, chris

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I retimed it with the old belt and tensioner to check the compression. If they were all zero, the owner might not want to spend the money on parts, or fix it. I had to pull the crank pulley off to get the water pump off...never seen a water pump like that before and had to tap out the adjuster hole for the tensioner and play with the stud and washers to get it to lock tight. It wasn't holding the old tensioner tight.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished up today. Kevin is delighted to have his car back. His wife wants him to sell it to me, but he's resisting:( However, beauty is only skin deep. I was under the car today for an inspection. All the rusty brake lines have been replaced, thankfully, but there are big holes rusted through just forward of the trailing arm mounting points. All 4 jack points are gone. The brake backing plates are only half there. Hard to believe the underneath can be that bad when the top looks that good.
The car runs really, really strong. It's faster than anything I've got!

·
Premium Member
15,866 Posts
That car must not have come from around here originally. Too bad.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mass. Some one in Bellingham bought it and had it shipped west. It hasn't been driven for a year.

Someone out there must know this car, especially with those wheels. There can't be that many around. Some love has been given to it...some quality work and GTA wheels, Bosch projectors, yellow Konis and I'm guessing a chip, or cams. VIN ZAREA43L9M6172942...anyone know this car? It would be very interesting to know the history.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts