Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to the transmission of '93 164L 5-speed, or so I think. It's making grinding noises in low gears now, recent development.

Status: car was brought up to date on deferred maintenance by the esteemed Alfisto Steve 3.5 yrs ago at my purchase. That was the start of my 164 learning curve.

It's t-belt time anyway and the heads could stand re-torqueing.

It's possible I should do the cam seals if I pull the engine to do the transmission and other stuff. Anything else? I've replaced tranny/engine combinations but never wrestled a 5-speed in through the wheel well, nor does it appear attractive to undo the starter in-car. I did have the S car's starter rebuilt when it was pulled, so I have a fresh starter in hand to put back into this car.

Rather than re-bearing the inputs shaft (remember that I don't _know_ for sure this is the malady), we _could_ put my son's former 164S tranny into it. The P.O. did a non-Alfa clutch replacement about 4 yrs ago and the clutch is quite heavy. If I replace the pressure plate and trans with the S unit from son's car, then I'll probably have a lighter clutch in the car as well as having time to replace the input shaft bearing at my leisure (ho-ho-ho).

All suggestions and history about similar situations are welcome. I do listen to suggestions, and I have learned some things in the last six months.

Michael

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
So you too have leisure time? Just when I thought I did Mar's GC Jeep decides it is really time to change leaking A/C evaporator. So I just hit Rock Auto with the 5% discount coupon. She is going to drive the Red 93L for awhile since A/C works and car drives pretty good considering the fly gripes left on it to work off in my own "leisure" time.

As for your 93L going S tranny/clutch mode that sounds like a viable plan if S clutch good one.

Probably want to do the disc and TO brg replacement along with rear main seal and flywheel resurface unless you know history of S flywheel and clutch assembly. I would inspect S tranny input bearing just to know it has a roller bearing and be sure it has a good TO bearing sleeve and seals, too.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I've replaced tranny/engine combinations but never wrestled a 5-speed in through the wheel well, nor does it appear attractive to undo the starter in-car. I did have the S car's starter rebuilt when it was pulled, so I have a fresh starter in hand to put back into this car.

Rather than re-bearing the inputs shaft (remember that I don't _know_ for sure this is the malady)

Sounds like you're pretty clued-up about the problem then ;)
I agree with the diagnosis of the input shaft bearing. I have replaced this in two of this C503 gearbox type (Croma/Thema). While those weren't 164s, I'm willing to bet that the front subframe etc. is the same setup. I heaved the gearboxes out through the wheel well. The gearbox has to come apart almost completely, of course. The 5th gear and fork, the nuts on the two main shafts, the selector detents and interlocks. Nevertheless I managed to turn the jobs around in 2 days each.

Getting the old bearing off was a bit tricky (no room for a puller between it and first gear) but fitting the new bearing was easy - I heated it to about 50 degrees C in a small oven, and placed the input shaft (in a plastic bag) in the freezer. The bearing just dropped into place when I brought the two together. I used Loctite retaining compound on the outer race, into the housing.

The replacement bearing(s) I used had to come from France and were the same ball-bearing type as the original. Alfisto Steve has a source for the improved roller-bearing type and that would be a much better idea.

Keep us posted but if it was me, I would leave engine in car and fix existing transmission. It's not too heavy to lift (I'm a 68-kg weakling).

-Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts