Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hey Guys,

WELL... Last night my cell phone died and my carrier is Verizon. The nearest store was in Barboursville WV so I got up early and made the trek in the 164. Nothing really out of the ordinary, however about an hour into the drive I noticed a strange sound coming from what seemed to be the RT front. It was a strange Humming sound analogous to driving over a rumble strip without the bumps. The sound was muted, but noticeably there. Each time it occurred the noise lasted for less than 10 seconds.

There was no loss of control or vibration in the steering wheel, and speed was never affected. I was unsure of what was causing the sound because no action of mine changed the intensity.

My car is a sport model, and the only difference between driving today and every other day is that I had the suspension set to AUTO mode. Trying to figure out what was causing the problem, I played around with the steering, accelerator and gears to see what changes occurred (NOTHING)...

However when I reset the suspension to SPORT mode, the noise went away, and the car was silent the rest of the drive to the Mall and back home again all in all 300 miles round trip.

One part of me is hoping that with the suspension set to sport mode and given that I have larger tires than stock, I was curious if I was just simply rubbing the inner fender liner...

OR despite my pulling and tugging, could the bearing be going bad yet still be tight? I have never had a wheel bearing go before... if everything is tight... could the bearing still be bad? And what would it sound like?

Thanks guys!!!

Cheers
Martin.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Is the rt wheel warmer than the left after you drive it? You may have a caliper sticking and when it heats up it's starting to make noise. A wheel bearing usually is more of a rumble that will come and go as you load and un load it. For example going 45-50 mph and slightly swerving one way or the other. As more weight is put on a bum bearing it will make more noise.(Or pushing it off center as you swerve)
Comprende?

If you transferred to the University Of Louisville School of Medicine we wouldn't have to play BB tag:D

Paul

Oh... possibly being in sport mode let the sound transfer through the strut more???

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Paul,

Thanks again! True True about playing BB tag. One of these days I will just have to make another drive to the farm. It wasnt a bad drive 3.5 Hrs and lots of Alfa friendly highway.

If luck holds however, there will be another Alfa in Pikeville within the next 4 weeks. I will be here through most of the warmer weather, so I have decided (Logistics aside) that I want to bring one of my spiders from the mothballs down here. Getting it here is a strange pickle that I have not yet worked out... but here is hoping.

As for the "Noise" I heard while driving yesterday, if it was say a caliper getting warm... the only other difference between driving TO Barboursville and FROM back to Pikeville was that on the way there I encountered torrential down pours. So part of me is wondering if the cold water on hot metal may have had something to do with it.

In any event, I had best get back to something resembling work. Isnt it lovely of the Dean to schedule a round of exams the week after spring break. At least its raining out so I cant be tempted to just say "Screw it" and crawl under the car to play.

Cheers from Pikeville KY

Martin.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi Martin:

Do listen to Paul...he bakes cakes!:D:D:D

OK just kidding Pauly. Actually sounds like the guys are giving you sound advice. Isn't there a Midas in Pikeville? This sounds like a brake rotor. Depending on how much material is left, your rotors can be turned to take the warp out of them. But if you haven't recently installed, they are likely old and will need to go. If you want to come to Lexington, I can connect you with Jimmy, the manager from Midas on Saron Drive. He'll put your parts on for relatively little cash and couple 12 packs of Bud. I've had him helping me with my spiders for years when I am too lazy to do it myself. Good guy and straight shooter. I would plan on front rotors and some ceramic pads....and I would get those parts in my hands before visiting the repair shop. I would check autozone, advance auto, car quest, and O'Rileys to see if they have these on hand....might be less expensive than the regular parts boys. Marc Gutzman in Lexington, Alfisti extraordinaire, works for one of the O'Rileys and could likely get you a discount on the parts.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
John M
jmduncan01 at aol dot com
Lex area code.....274 3456

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.