Alfa Romeo Forums banner
421 - 440 of 491 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
I may have literally boxed myself into a corner here. I’m not certain the engine side motor mount will be able to get out of the frame side here on the DS. We’ll see if changes need to be made.
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 · (Edited)
How thick is the plate? 1/4"
This metal cutting looks really good. I need one of these porta band saws.
Do you have something like this?
Most of the plate shown in the recent photos is 1/4”. The blade coming up from the engine mount and bolting to the matching plate on the bushing is 1/2”. I do the rough cutting with the portaband and then sand on the belt sander. I’m a huge fan of the portaband and use it for all my cutting whenever possible.
Kind of ghetto plate that I made years ago from a scrap. It works and gives me something to clamp into my bench vise. When not in use it hangs on the wall, out of the way
Wood Engineering Gas Machine Composite material

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
And 1/2" ..that's way too thick. I will use 0.1" or 0.125 for engine mounts. This is the thickness of the metal used by BMW (E30) for engine mounts.
It is thick, no argument there…but it’s also cantilevered and held in single sheer on a stress plane. Going 1/2” gives more bearing surface on the bolts, resistance to elastic deformation, blah blah blah, plus it’s what I had on hand. :)
If it wasn’t a single blade and I had room to tie it back to the engine plate I would have gone with something lighter. Who knows, it’ll probably still fail 🤣

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
Oil pan next. But before that I’m going to bolt the wheels back on and set it on the ground to see what kind of horrible ground clearance there is between the pan and transmission and the ground currently for a reference point.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
617 Posts
Wow! That is way low.
I know of people running E30's smacking their oilpan on curbing when on track (VIR, IIRC). Don't know what the ground clearance was. Anyways, oilpan cracked (cast aluminum), repaired with JB weld, and back on track next day. I guess the benefit of a steel pan is, if you smack it, the oil wont bleed out. Off-roading happens.

Do you plan on raisng the engine? The hood is probably curved so there is probably even more room than shown in the image you posted.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #439 ·
Wow! That is way low.
I know of people running E30's smacking their oilpan on curbing when on track (VIR, IIRC). Don't know what the ground clearance was. Anyways, oilpan cracked (cast aluminum), repaired with JB weld, and back on track next day. I guess the benefit of a steel pan is, if you smack it, the oil wont bleed out. Off-roading happens.

Do you plan on raisng the engine? The hood is probably curved so there is probably even more room than shown in the image you posted.
I had 4” of clearance with the stock engine which seemed like nothing.

I’m going to be designing a new oil pan to make up the capacity I lost from the crossmember already. I’m going to pull this steel pan and see how low the oil pickup sits. I definitely do have room between the curved hood and engine but if I raise it up then I’m into the tranny tunnel. I’d rather not get into that.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm going to use these.

I remember looking at some of your earlier postings, and thinking it, it's not the standard steel tube and pickup bulb design. In fact I think I was surprised to see a chain driven low mounted oil pump. Probably cant raise pickup location.

421 - 440 of 491 Posts