Alfa Romeo Forums banner
401 - 420 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Not the prettiest thing, but I fabricobbled a quick engine bay support from scrap in the shop so I could get the cherry picker out of the way and get this engine locked into place.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
505 Posts
BTW: Before you drive this, you should disconnect the rear anti-roll bar as a precaution. More understeery is better for a first outing in a car with maybe less front stiffness than originally intended.

I have smashed the front of my e30 race car, but straightened it enough (we didn't use "proper" methods) for the next race. It became quite oversteery, our solution was to disconnect the rear anti-roll bar, and it was acceptable. Before the next race we reinforced the weakened area of the unibody, and reconnected to rear anti roll bar. Back to normal.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
BTW: Before you drive this, you should disconnect the rear anti-roll bar as a precaution. More understeery is better for a first outing in a car with maybe less front stiffness than originally intended.

I have smashed the front of my e30 race car, but straightened it enough (we didn't use "proper" methods) for the next race. It became quite oversteery, our solution was to disconnect the rear anti-roll bar, and it was acceptable. Before the next race we reinforced the weakened area of the unibody, and reconnected to rear anti roll bar. Back to normal.
Great suggestion. Thanks for the pro-tip. I’ll make sure to make that happen.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 · (Edited)
New bushings arrived today. Steering space has been confirmed and materials are getting ordered for that (thanks again Randall for talking me through your setup a bit more). New motor mounts are the goal this weekend. Then drag link, oil pan, brakes, header, and alternator. Then we’ll be close to where I was a couple weeks ago again :)
Material property Automotive tire Electric blue Auto part Cylinder

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,582 Posts
what are those for?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
what are those for?
Motor mounts. I’ve built some similar to this on a couple swaps in life with good results. My original aim was to repurpose the factory location, hence the poly mounts I cast earlier in this project. With the recent changes to the crossmember I’ll turn out something with a similar flavor to the LS mount in the pic below that I pulled off the web:
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
welding is getting much better :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
I apologize right now for the lazy question, but does anyone know off the top of their heads the factory taper of the Alfa TREs? 7 or 11 by chance?

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
TREs?

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
i was told they are 8 degrees.. but small diameter..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #418 ·
Not related to the build other than that it’s been a distraction from it, but my buddy and my little side business I mentioned a few months ago has been growing and we’ve added a 50W fiber marking laser to our operations now. Should be a fun tool for personal project stuff too :)

I plan on using the flat space of the valve cover as a canvas for the project’s name.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 ·
No paid promotions here but I thought I’d shout out compliments of the Fireball Tool squares again. I bought a set of the cast aluminum ones a while back and have been really pleased with them.

Wood Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Engineering

401 - 420 of 472 Posts