Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I picked up a Miata transmission for next to nothing thinking that it could be a good option. I was wrong. That thing was a mile long.

I did some more research, as opposed to the zero research I did before that Miata tranny, and ended up with a Getrag 250 from a 323i. Much much better size and specs to match my design goals for both HP and torque as well.

Here’s a shot of it next to the Alfa tranny.

Bellhousing to guibo and bellhousing to shifter dimensions are very very close when comparing the two.

Alfa

Getrag

Perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So here’s a question for the group:

Does anyone know a direct bolt in master cylinder option for a brake booster delete? I’ve read a couple threads in here about people using BMW 2002 MCs but would love some specifics if anyone has them at their fingertips.

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
Does anyone know a direct bolt in master cylinder option for a brake booster delete?
Not sure I'm following. The booster bolts to the aluminum casting with four studs, arranged in sort of a square pattern. Are you hoping to find a MC that would pick up that same square bolt pattern? I can't imagine that such a thing exists.

Generally when you go from boosted to unboosted brakes, you substitute a smaller diameter MC, so it will generate greater pressure for the same pedal force. So maybe you're asking for a dual circuit, but smaller diameter, MC that would accept the Alfa's hard lines and bolt to (something).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Alfajay,
Yep. The latter is what I’m looking for recommendations on. Sorry for not being clear. A small bore dual circuit MC that works well to accept the stock hardlines. I’m comfortable fabricobbling an adapter plate.

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
Alfajay,
Yep. The latter is what I’m looking for recommendations on. Sorry for not being clear. A small bore dual circuit MC that works well to accept the stock hardlines. I’m comfortable fabricobbling an adapter plate.

OK, now I get it. And the Alfa cylinder is 22 mm, while I see a "20" cast into the BMW cylinder pictured below. But the port locations on the 2002 MC don't look ideal for your application. The outlet ports are on the right side of the cylinder, while Alfa MC's have their's on the left. Also, the 2002 MC mounts low in the car (standing pedals) so it is plumbed for a line leading to a remote reservoir. The Alfa MC is mounted high (hanging pedals), so it has the reservoir directly on top.

BMW:

Alfa:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Took some measurements of the Alfa engine:

Back of sump to rear of block ~10.5”

Bottom of pan to top of valve cover bolts ~18”

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The kid I picked up the Getrag from had a bonus prop shaft from his BMW that he threw in. My plan is to cut the Alfa prop shaft and graft in the BMW transmission end once I have the engine and transmission mounted and can get some good measurements.

Alfa shafts

BMW shaft

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Then I started to clean up the K20 and stripped it down to make fitting it easier.

·
Registered
1985 Spider (SSM AutoX)
409 Posts
I’ve done a booster-less BMW 2002 MC conversion. I’ll share some pics over text later, remind me!

·
Push hard and live
11,014 Posts
Just to disrupt your day...

Carson City has around 45,000 people. Although I've seen one or two Alfa's under tarps and parked in the dark end of a garage, I'm pretty sure I'm the only DD here. Well, I spotted a new Stelvio the other day, but it might have been coming down from Tahoe for some reason.

About two years ago I pulled up at a four-way stop only to see a tired GTV to my left. No bleeding rust, but paint blotchy, grill gone, big tires, and poofed wheel wells. And... it was sort of crackling as it sat there.

Of course, I followed them to investigate.

Two nice guys doing stealth fabrication on RVs in an industrial park near my house.

Under the hood of the GTV (I think a 73 or 74), was a Nissan SR20DET. Somewhat modded with easy to get parts. The fellow claimed he was at 350HP, with parts on the way for 450.

I've seen the car driving a time or two since. They're a couple of throw-back hotrodders, so not a lot of intersection social wise. No idea what they did at the rear to get that power to the street without shedding parts, but the stance hinted at IRS.

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Registered
111 Posts
I’ve had my 1978 Spider for a couple years now, driven it a bit and loved every mile but unfortunately it’s been one repair after another. I love the car, the history and experience of driving it, but I want to do more of that, drive it, and less repairing.

For that reason I’m, like the title says, swapping a 2.0 for a 2.0. I’ll stumble my way through it and draw inspiration from others who have done the like before me (Keven’s s2000 swap from 18yrs ago is a regular reference for me).

I apologize now to the purists who are undoubtably not impressed with this move. But for those like me, hopefully there are some useful pieces in here for anyone else interested in going down this rabbit hole. I’m a couple months into it at this point and will do my best to chronicle the process and provide the story from start to finish. I’ll share thoughts and ask for input, post lots of photos; if it gets to be too much, let me know. I’ve always found photos helpful when referencing build threads. I’ll also post some backstory on what I did with this car before landing on this idea.

So, all that said, here we go...
If you, previous owners and/or current mechanics are incompetent so as to not be able to repair and maintain an Alfa Romeo engine, how can you pretend that transplanting a japanese engine will be easier?
It’s amazing enough that the admins here would allow such a discussion on this forum.
FYI: I have owned and rebuilt and raced dozens of Alfa Romeos. Having logged many of them over 100,000 miles without problems. One client : a 1984 spider with 225,000 miles before the cylinder head was rebuilt and the last time I checked was very happily driving with more than 250,000 miles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just to disrupt your day...

Carson City has around 45,000 people. Although I've seen one or two Alfa's under tarps and parked in the dark end of a garage, I'm pretty sure I'm the only DD here. Well, I spotted a new Stelvio the other day, but it might have been coming down from Tahoe for some reason.

About two years ago I pulled up at a four-way stop only to see a tired GTV to my left. No bleeding rust, but paint blotchy, grill gone, big tires, and poofed wheel wells. And... it was sort of crackling as it sat there.

Of course, I followed them to investigate.

Two nice guys doing stealth fabrication on RVs in an industrial park near my house.

Under the hood of the GTV (I think a 73 or 74), was a Nissan SR20DET. Somewhat modded with easy to get parts. The fellow claimed he was at 350HP, with parts on the way for 450.

I've seen the car driving a time or two since. They're a couple of throw-back hotrodders, so not a lot of intersection social wise. No idea what they did at the rear to get that power to the street without shedding parts, but the stance hinted at IRS.
Meth head RV repairmen.... great

·
Registered
1985 Spider (SSM AutoX)
409 Posts
If you, previous owners and/or current mechanics are incompetent so as to not be able to repair and maintain an Alfa Romeo engine, how can you pretend that transplanting a japanese engine will be easier?
It’s amazing enough that the admins here would allow such a discussion on this forum.
You must be fun at parties.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
A K20A2 or K20Z1 would be muc more desireable. Install and forget it. But these engines drink some oil. This is not the regular Civic with the 1.7 or 1.8 engines. My TSX with supposedly the 2006 version of the K24 didn't have the oil consumption problem of the 2005 and earlier versions, definitely consumes more oil than the Alfa V6s that I have!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
A K20A2 or K20Z1 would be muc more desireable. Install and forget it. But these engines drink some oil. This is not the regular Civic with the 1.7 or 1.8 engines. My TSX with supposedly the 2006 version of the K24 didn't have the oil consumption problem of the 2005 and earlier versions, definitely consumes more oil than the Alfa V6s that I have!!!
I didn’t know that about the oil consumption. Good to know. Thank you. The A2 is the long term plan. The A3 is a cheap opportunity for me to get the project moving. Thanks again for the heads up re: the oil!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I picked up a PMC adapter plate and flywheel to mate the Getrag to the K20. Very very nicely built.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts