Alfa Romeo Forums banner
361 - 380 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,582 Posts
Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. 🤞
For as thrifty as I am, that’s one component I spent a fair amount on and am really hoping to put it to use :)
see where it ends up, post photos

·
Registered
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce
199 Posts
Is therr any reason you couldn't just use an alfa lowet sump on a custom made upper sump?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Welding on used oil soak castings is rather difficult. Also in my experience, the gasket surface will warp. Probably can be minimized with adequate pre-heating. When I attempt this again, I will bolt the flange to the engine block. I didn't want to do this originally, as I was worried about transferring to much heat into the more expensive engine block.
Probably using a spool gun is easiest, as balance (Miller term) is essentially 100%. I think Lincoln may actually label this setting as cleaning.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Actually the real reason is that the K20 uses a steel oilpan. Is there an application where Honda uses aluminum for the K series?

·
Administrator
16,446 Posts
Why go to aluminum? Those pressed steel pans are very light.

Maybe the best solution is to cut the cross member out. Make a sump that works, ensure the steering clears and then design a new cross member. If wise, make it a bolt in one so engine easier to remove/install.

The cross member probably only has to be a ~50mm diameter tube as long as the loads are spread well at each end back into the chassis
Pete

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,582 Posts
one for you...one for me?? thank you so much :)

·
Registered
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce
199 Posts
I keep eyeing the 1500 for my Miata....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
I keep eyeing the 1500 for my Miata....
It was a big pill to swallow but I was hoping they would have a sale. 20% off helped. The K20A3 that I have is no rockstar but this should make swapping to an A2 (the long term goal) and easy swap when the time comes. The A3 is such a cheap platform to build around. I’m really excited to be able to buy this ECU and start venturing deeper into the EFI world. Hopefully I can put it to use as well as so many say they can.

·
Registered
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce
199 Posts
If this is your first tuneable ECU, I am gonna give you the heads up that the learning curve for tuning is more akin to running face first into a brick wall.

Also, the cells nearby idle and between idle and 0rpm/atmo are all far more important than you think....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
If this is your first tuneable ECU, I am gonna give you the heads up that the learning curve for tuning is more akin to running face first into a brick wall.

Also, the cells nearby idle and between idle and 0rpm/atmo are all far more important than you think....
Thanks for the input. I’m sure I’ll reach out your way when I get to this phase!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

I resemble that remark. Still don't have the cells near idle fully figured out. Curious how OP likes the haltech. I like a lot of things about megasquirt, but there are a few rough around the edges items that I find frustrating (most notably hot and cold start tuning).

·
Registered
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce
199 Posts
Yeah, cold start tuning is the pits. I still don't have the Miata starting all that well when it dips below 35F (running on an MS3x). I have hot starts working super well at least.

I got the cells near idle sorted by using the clutch, throttle, and brakes to get into as many of them as I could. It made a big difference in idle stability and recovery.

Thanks for the input. I’m sure I’ll reach out your way when I get to this phase!
I am still very much a noob myself at tuning, but I will give what advice I can. Two more bug tips are that base tunes are "the car will sort of start, and sort of drive, if you are lucky" and also, turn every single feature you do not avsolutely need to get the engine started and warmed up off. After that, get the fuel map nostly dialed in, then bring in the other features one at a time (like acceleration enrichment). Otherwise you will just be chacing your tail.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
I resemble that remark. Still don't have the cells near idle fully figured out. Curious how OP likes the haltech. I like a lot of things about megasquirt, but there are a few rough around the edges items that I find frustrating (most notably hot and cold start tuning).
I’m a ways from getting it installed and running but will certainly keep folks posted on how the learning process goes.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Did you compare Haltech to Maxxecu? I've been quite impressed with the Maxxecu capabilities. OKTech uses them in there 3.9 Milano.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·
Did you compare Haltech to Maxxecu? I've been quite impressed with the Maxxecu capabilities. OKTech uses them in there 3.9 Milano.
I didn’t. Haltech is the name that I’ve seen more often and when I called the local tuning shops more of the tuners in my area are familiar with Haltech so I went that way to make sure I’d have good local support when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I didn’t. Haltech is the name that I’ve seen more often and when I called the local tuning shops more of the tuners in my area are familiar with Haltech so I went that way to make sure I’d have good local support when the time comes.
I think that’s wise. You will spend a lot more on tuning and get worse results if the tuner is spending much of their time trying to learn the quirks of a new system. Always a good idea to go with what is common locally.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
yup, good choice.

361 - 380 of 472 Posts