Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently got a few parts for my dad's car and found out his engine has a slightly different rear main seal. No biggie, because I caught the difference before I ordered, but I was told that the larger-diameter rear seal means his car is a K-Jetronic.

I have no idea what that means in the context of my dad's Alfa, but I am nearly certain it doesn't have mechanical fuel injection, which Google seems to indicate is what K-Jetronic is. I is true my dad's 1989 Spider is somehow actually a K-Jetronic? If so, does that have any implications when buying parts for his car outside that rear main seal being different?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,534 Posts
K-Jetronic was a continuous injection system. Alfa never used it on the Spider, at least not as far as I know.

If yours is an injected '89 it's almost certainly L-Jetronic. This article has some photos and shows the various components, you can see if it matches:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,534 Posts
Ah, that's where it came from. That's incorrect, the later cars are Motronic 4.1.

Alfa switched to Motronic in 1990, although with Alfa I'm sure they could've sold a few as '89s. The most obvious difference is Motronic cars will have twin electric fans (no belt driven fan) and no AAV bolted to the right cam cover.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
And don't forget that most 1990 model year cars were made in 1989. For example my '90 was made in August of '89 so pay careful attention. I agree with Tom - the fans are probably the most obvious tip-off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to ask my father more about his car. I haven't really looked at it much myself (yet, this should change soon when I am helping him with getting it running right), but it would be pretty funny if this thing is actually a '90.

Thanks again. I guess the next thing is to figure out what year the car actually is! Thankfully the parts I bought are the same regardless.

Love this forum, wish my dad could come on here himself.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Fingers crossed - you get a lot of motor upgrades with the '90. The downside is a few 1-year only parts.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
easiest way to tell if you have Mortronic or L-jetronic spider is whether you have something mounted on the cam cover, here in the red circle
yes - Bosch L-jetronic
no -Bosch Motronic ML4.1

a million other ways too, but that seems to jump out at anyone opening the hood for the first time:)

this photo is therefore a Bosch motronic ML4.1 (90-94 in USA , 89-93 in Europe)
engine.JPG

oh and someone should inform Spruell---I am guessing some newbee typed that page...Spruel outta know things like that.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
918 Posts
"K" just happens to be right next to "L" on a keyboard.....

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Carl. Check the seal you take off before you just assume you have the right one.

Alfa went to the bigger rear seal in the 89 model year.

Which might mean there could be some late 1988's that have the bigger seal or some early 1989's that have the smaller seal.

In the parts books it will actually show the vin number of the car it change on.

Also you have build date and model year. Next's years model almost always started production in the summer of the previous year. i.e. 1990 models started being built in the summer of 1989.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts