Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a month ago a person came into the shop and challenged a statement I made over a year ago on the BB.?.?. The statement was "I believe every alfa is worthy of saving". My point (at the time) was if the owner of the car, cares enough then it's worth saving. But still, if I took the statement in it's simplest form, is it possible?
So here's the plan. The outfit who builds our customer engines (but is world wide known for engine and spica building) donated this car to the shop. Most would say that it's waisted. It's not waisted. The chassis is in good shape.
Next we need to look at what it will take to fix the body? The rear end will be pulled with our frame rack that is coming in next month. I'm thinking the rear can be saved in place! That's right, I think we can pull and fix the panels in place. No, not with a ton of body filler.
A timeline on this can not be set because we have customer cars to focus on. In other words this is low priority.

Now for the bigger picture. I have not talked to Simon about this yet but, I think with a collection of help ( parts are needed) from BB'ers once the car is done, maybe we can post the car on the BB for a auction (assuming the logistics and any paper work that may be needed can be worked out). ALL THE PROFITS would go to keeping the site running. Anyway that's the idea. So stay tuned.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
If there is little rust (no Alfa has none!) then this is a very workable car.
To make enough of a profit to make a donation would be the biggest problem. Someone would have to donate a lot of parts and labor to make it happen.
I say go for it! Mainly because the people on the BB are real enthusiasts and would gladly chip in.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I plan on donating my time (football season is almost over) and equipment use. And if it's parts I have, and don't need those will go too. All in all, most of the bits are here. I'm sure the motor and tranny will work out. But if the those cost are under control, then this can be a good deal.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,938 Posts
Daron, that car doesn`t look too bad-looks like there is more straight panel beating work than rust repair and panel fabrication. It would have been uneconomic as an insurance repair though so without someone`s voluntary work this car would have been parted out for sure.
Very benelovent idea you have regarding auctioning the car off and donating the proceeds and I am sure that with the high regard you are held by North American BBers the car will be a sure seller with the added advantage of a picorial history of the restoration.
I look forward to watching. I`m not sure you realise that you and others taking and posting pics of these restorations are both an inspiration and a great practical help (both methodology and structural pics) to those of us around the world pottering away in our garages doing much the same repair work.
Merry Christmas.

Richard J
`65 Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Richard, I have a goal in mind as to what I hope the internal cost should be. This car will make profit with out doubt, assuming I get little support from others. Anyway, yes there is VERY little rust to worry about. The external rust is surface only.

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
I think this car is worth saving, but I don't think absolutely every Alfa is worth saving, other than in an ideal sense, in a perfect world. I've sent a Giulia Super, a 72 GTV, several Berlinas, and a couple Bosch Spiders to APE and other junk yards over the years, and I'm sure they're recycled by now. All these cars had significant rust, accident damage, and/or mechanical issues that could not economically be addressed without spending far more than their market value. Several I offered to give away, with no takers. So there is some practical limit, in spite of what we'd all wish.

This car looks worth the effort.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, of course your right. There are limits, in all of our own minds. But the point is still the same. Only the owner of a car can say, it is, or is not worth saving. Case in point, I have a 74 spider at the shop right now. The owner (this is a one owner car) dropped it off at the local ..... well I can't say what dealership, but told them to restore it and call him when it's done. Clue: the car is from the same country as the cars the dealership sales today.
The point is, the car has more value to the owner then the market has for the car. I met a guy last month that had a very fast, very clean Alfetta sedan. He loves that car. He had the best motor that money could buy built for the car $$$. He had the whole interior done in dark red leather. The car had custom wheelwood brakes, custom stainless steel exhaust (made by a group the makes or made F1 units). Is it something I would invest in? No. But it was something he wanted.

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
Yes, there are plenty of people willing to spend more than a car is worth to restore it. My friends in San Diego spent $50,000+ a few years ago restoring the 61 Spider Veloce they've had for 35 years, when they could have bought a comparable car for probably half that. But they wanted that car restored, not some other one, and could afford it. Which is fine.

But I'm not going to spend thousands sorting, for instance, an 86 Bosch Spider I got for free that had (1) a salvage title, (2) the worst bodywork you've ever seen, (3) a spark plug hole buggered completely by having the plug removed with apparently a lug wrench, and (4) a crankshaft that hits something internally when you try to turn it. Someone might, but it didn't make sense to me. So APE got that one, alas. I try to save all the ones I can, but some just don't make sense. Someday maybe I'll regret it, but not yet.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean. In 1991 ( when I was in College) I spent thousands that I didn't have, building a 1965 Vw 21 window bus. In those days the 21 window bus was a cheap car. I sold that van for a fraction of what I had in to it ( I think 4500.00 in 1993). That van is still owned buy the same guy I sold it to, and it is in mint condition. But the van is worth close to 50K! So, sometimes it goes the other way too.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
im with you on the fact that EVERYTHING is saveable..its a mater of time, skill and money

i personaly have saved worse...and am working on something that most ppl would consider imposible or simply a waste of time/money

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Jeff!..... what, you can't buff that out???:eek: BTW, if you can find a donor car, the roof is a pretty easy swap job. If you elect to do that, give me a call and I'll tell you the trick.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
rot out is just harder to deal with but a roof swap is EASY....did my first roof swap a few years ago

and yes EVERYTHING is savable "if" theres enuf of some kind of value on the car...and im NOT talking just $$$$ value....problem is..if there to far gone you will likely rip apart cars that could have been a better starting point

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
The GTV is very salvagable. My GTV was hit similiar to the one shown. A new rear panel, and a good pull on a frame machine can make it like new. My GTV is so straight now you would never know it was ever hit, even looking inside the trunk you will be hard pressed to find any difference from new, the guy that did the work is a master at body work. He works for a local restoration shop. Unfortunately, his price is more than I can afford now to have him do my work.

·
Administrator
14,463 Posts
This car is worth saving :), but not it's mag wheels. Man what was Alfa Romeo thinking ....

I had a Sud with that style wheels, just simply boring and about as sporty as a Volvo :p.
Pete

·
Administrator
14,463 Posts
Wow!!!, love to see some progress shots.

See I'm not the only insane one :D.
Pete

1 - 20 of 21 Posts