Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just moved out to SF in March and Im finally getting somewhat settled. I just sold my pick up and I am currently using my bike as my only form of transportation. Sooo, being currently alfaless, I am looking to pick up a milano or gtv6 as a rainy day vehicle or grocery store run vehicle. The thing that scares me most is the whole smog thing. The guy I sold my truck to had to spend $800 to get it to pass smog. Apparently people in SF arent down with the whole $50 under the table thing like I was used to in Jersey. Are these old alfas nightmares to smog and register?

Anyone have any leads besides craigslist and ebay for a used alfa? Thanks a lot.

Vinny

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Hi vinny,

Welcome to the bay area! We have an 88 or 86(I forget the year) Spider that has a rebuilt head for sale soon. I'm sure Lenard (164FAMILY) has something for you as well.

Cheers,

Sean.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The $50 under the table thing dissapeared in the early 80's here in CA, but don't get me started on SMOG, mine failed earlier this week - the motor has just 7K on it, is rock stock and runs great, with the categories so clean you could breath through it ... except for the "newer" criteria which the car was never ment to be tested for, and has to be done so under load on the dyno, and since my mechanic and it seems most Alfa mechs don't have this new equip to load test ... it is one huge hassle (two days taken off from work so far) and has me a hair from saying the hell with it and putting it up for sale!

Sorry for the rant, just PO'd .... .... I love the Alfetta body but do yourself the favor and get a 1974 or older Alfa anything and then you don't have to deal with the SMOG bull ****!

GV

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks Sean - yeah, even though I told the guy to rev it up a bit he didn't, just drove it on and started testing it for the 15 mph tests, which is where it didn't pass, everything else was clean but still a fail. Another try tomorrow.

Vindingo - I would still try to find a 74 or older Alfa so that you don't have to deal with the smog nonsense, but difficult if your hearts desire is a transaxle car (as it is with me). On the flip side it is the seller's responsibility to take care of the smog passing when they sell the car to you, so with a new purchase you're good for 2 years (at the moment).

Do stay tuned to the ARA part of the bb, as there are lots of activities coming up and even if you are without an Alfa you can proabably hitch a ride with someone.

GV

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
GV, have you:
-changed the air filter
-changed the oil/oil filter
-used premium
-used injector cleaner
-driven the crap out of the car for at least 15 miles prior to the smog?
-verify car timing with the v6 timing template

The point is the car needs to be HOT.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yes, thanks Sean. I'm 90% sure it's because the guy didn't rev the car up before testing! It could be the cat except that it passed everything at the 25 mph speed just the one fail at 15 mph which is the test the guy did first, and he just rolled it on and started testing ... I almost wonder if he had it in 2nd gear!

Vindingo - You can get an older one to fly as Sean said, I know someone with a 79 Alfetta GT with Spica and they got their's passed. It's just that it can be hassle. They now load test the cars on the dyno, and since the Alfa mechs around the area can't load test all they can do is tune the car and check it on their meter to say it "should" pass. So one stop shopping for smog doesn't really exist - you have to get the car tuned, then go get it tested, then if it fails go back to your mech to try to adjust ...

In the case of an 80's car, if the motor is good, the cat and 02 sensor good than it should pass. Also, it is the seller's responsibility to take care of the smog passing when they sell the car to you, so with a new purchase you're good for 2 years (at the moment).

Do stay tuned to the ARA part of the bb, as there are lots of activities coming up and even if you are without an Alfa you can proabably hitch a ride with someone.

GV

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Not so fast GV, liberal CA government is putting into affect a new law where cars 15 years or older will have to be smogged annually. Welcome to California. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunetly, I cant really afford a pre74 gtv that is in running condition. The price of those things has skyrocketed in the last few years. 5 years ago you could pick up a nice running one for about 5 grand. Not so much anymore.
I also have a soft spot for gtv6's... I also kind of like milanos too. I have already decided that Im not going the cheap 164 route because that could not end well. Does the guy at the alfa center in northbeach sell cars too?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The overall Bay Area is a fairly good place to buy a used Alfa; I wouldn't limit my search to only SF. Nice Milanos are probably a bit easier to find than nice GTV6s. If you're patient, $4-5k can buy a #2 quality silver, gold or platinum; Verdes and nice GTV6s will cost more, probably between $5-10k.

A good place to start is to put a post on what you're looking for on the BB and CL.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Hey Vinny, Welcome back!!

Here is a thought,.. you could buy a GTV6 in the east, register it in your hometown and drive it out to Cal. I don't believe they have smog in your state- we don't in Maine! I'm sure you could get away with that for awhile.

p.s. thanks for your efforts on the wing, a piece of your car lives on !!...

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Hey Vinny, Welcome back!!

Here is a thought,.. you could buy a GTV6 in the east, register it in your hometown and drive it out to Cal. I don't believe they have smog in your state- we don't in Maine! I'm sure you could get away with that for awhile.

p.s. thanks for your efforts on the wing, a piece of your car lives on !!...
Under California state law, you have to transfer your vehicle to California title within 10 days. This is usually stretched to a reasonable amount of time. But, if you get pulled over with a Louisiana reg and a California DL(also needed in 10 days), then they won't be very happy. Good luck.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Rich helped out on my smog - it looks like it was the 02 sensor, so I replaced that yesterday and will retest tomorrow.

It seems like there were a lot of Milanos and v6's up for sale these past months, but not so much now. In relation to smog I would just caution getting a v6 with something like 115K on it as it will prob. be due for a valve job, my heads were rebuilt around that time just for that reason.

There was a Maratona that kept popping up on craigslist for the last few months in SF, but I don't have any info on it. Will keep the eyes peeled.:)

GV

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Glen! I am already out here... I drove a 87 Dodge pick up with 250,000 miles out here. I put on about 4,000 miles in a month driving across the country with my bike in tow. It was an experiance to say the least. Im glad you still have the wing, when I buy a new gtv6 Im expecting to be able to buy a fiberglass copy of it! :D

I pm'd Lenard to ask if I could see the car this weekend. No response... Im not in a huge rush, so I didnt want to keep hounding him and bother him. Is there an alfa "season" out here similar to motorcycles? You can always get a good deal on a bike in the winter, but prices start to go up during the summer. Maybe I just need to be patient... I have been bitten with the alfa bug again

1 - 20 of 23 Posts