Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased my first classic car, a 1969 roundtail 1750 spider. While I have owned two Series 4 Spiders in the past, I have always wanted a roundtail
and I decided to take the plunge. The car is well known to the main Alfa shop in Phoenix, as they have serviced it for over 20 years. Car has approx 61,000 original miles, original engine and body, never any rust. Arizona car, white with burgundy interior, exterior is in great condition, interior has been restored but kept true to original intent . No known mechanical issues..
It's a bit intimidating owning a 50+ year old car. Any advice you can give is much appreciated.. I realize the car needs to be driven... thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
You now have a real vintage sportscar, not a boulevard cruiser. Enjoy the fall winter and spring driving in the valley of the sun.

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts
It's a bit intimidating owning a 50+ year old car.
Funny you should say that. I'd say: It's a bit intimidating owning a modern car, with all their electronics, "nanny aids", and systems that owners (and many dealers) can neither diagnose nor repair. Your 50-year old car, on the other hand, is simple, simple, simple. As long as you have spark, fuel and compression it will run. Keep in well maintained and it will prove far more reliable than some computer on wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Drive it as often as possible. Avoid giving it the "shrine" treatment. These are fun years to drive and will amaze you with its dated performance. I've had mine 50 years and counting.
Cheers Jon

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Congrats on finding a great car! Assuming this is a spica car, you'll want to replace both fuel filters and the spica oil filter. Verify that the low fuel pressure light is working.

If all is well there I'd probably turn my attention to the suspension. Nothing transforms a Spider more than fresh bushings.

Pictures please!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that sounds like great advice. will post pics once I figure out how to . ;)
btw, will changing the bushings make the car quieter when driving and less rattling ( although I realize 50 yr old car) in addition to better shock absorbing? Should new shocks typically be replaced at the same time? fuel filter and oil filters recently changed ( actually had new fuel pump, water pump and radiator cored shortly before my purchase). Car has no leaks whatsoever... local Alfa shop (Auto International) has serviced car throughout its 4 owners and vouched for the car, big reason why I bought it
Finally, a few inner door panel window handles are a bit loose ( might be contributing to some of the noise), how do you tighten them? Is it something a novice can do or should I leave it to the Alfa shop? ( they are very busy)
Also, where is the low fuel pressure light? was not aware it had one other than the fuel gauge

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
There is suppose to be a piece of foam behind the door panel around the shaft and there should be a ring behind the window crank and the door opening handle. There really is not a way to tighten them as they are held on by a clip.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on finding a great car! Assuming this is a spica car, you'll want to replace both fuel filters and the spica oil filter. Verify that the low fuel pressure light is working.

If all is well there I'd probably turn my attention to the suspension. Nothing transforms a Spider more than fresh bushings.

Pictures please!
How do I post pics?

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
In the "reply" box, click on the 4th icon near the top. This will open to accept photos.
Cheers, Jon

1 - 20 of 41 Posts