Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my '95 LS, I figured the best thing I could purchase for it would be a parts car. I just purchased another '95 LS which will become the donor. It has about 80k miles on it, not running but timing belt is not broken. Good glass, clean body and interior. Paid less for it than I see some individual used 164 parts selling for on eBay.

What are some of the unobtainum parts that I should be sure to put on the shelf (like the ECU and widnshield)? I will likely look to sell off some of the bigger pieces like interior and body panels.

If nothing else, I should be able to learn a lot about the 164 through the disassembly process. Any advise on the order in which I should tackle the disection?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
why not make it a runner?

whats wrong with it that it has to be a parts car?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not entirely sure yet. From what I know it does crank but does not start, needs exhaust, needs brake work, probably other stuff including timing belt. It has been sitting for 2+ years.

I genuinely hate to break apart any vehicle that could be made whole again and have indeed brought many others back from the dead. My driver car is an '85 BMW 524TD which has 250k on the odometer and yet I would not hesitate to drive it across the country in the morning. Unfortunately, given the cost and availability of many Alfa parts, bringing back a neglected 164 will rarely make economic sense (unless you have yet another parts car). The good news is that breaking this one up will likely keep mine and many others on the road for years to come.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Unfortunately, given the cost and availability of many Alfa parts, bringing back a neglected 164 will rarely make economic sense (unless you have yet another parts car). The good news is that breaking this one up will likely keep mine and many others on the road for years to come.
Welcome to my world. That's how I came to own three running 164s. Eventually I sold two of them - I achieved my goal - BUT to be fair I did end up getting a number of parts from someone who DID strip a car for parts...

-Alex

·
Premium Member
27,373 Posts
I suggest before you break it into pieces you try to verify cam timing and timing belt tension, compression on engine to see whether you have a spare engine with parts attached or lots of parts.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be trailering it to my house next week. At that time I will certainly see if I can get the engine running before initiating any sort of tear down. I'm sure I will have lots of questions once it gets here seeking advice on how to get her started, or at least diagnose condition of engine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Picked up the parts car today. Seller was heading to Carlisle so I met him there. Btw, only one Alfa on the display field today.

Anyway, she definitely looks like she has been sitting in a barn for a couple of years as seller indicated. Probably a barn with a leaky roof and a dirt floor.

From the outside she does not look bad. Body is in pretty good shape as is most of the trim. Underneath, not so good. Car has definitely seen some salted roads. Exhaust is total junk, brakes lines and calipers look pretty rusty as do suspension bits.

Engine looks grungy. The chrome runners actually have rust on them as did the top of the air filter box. Timing belt is in tact. Have not tried starting it, it needs a battery. According to seller the drivetrain was running well when he parked it two years ago due to exhaust and brakes. He states that after sitting it would not start but does crank. He believes it is not getting fuel.

Interior looks good but there are tell tale signs (and smell) that rodents had been making a home in there. It probably did not have a door or window opened in close to two years which did not help. Will clean it up and put the ozonizer in there for a few hours. Hopefully that will kill anything.

She has 85k on the odometer.

Could it be turned into a runner? Too soon to tell. Even if she gets started I envision a lot of brake work, maybe suspension work, probably a timing belt and all the related bits. Probably not worth it from a cost perspective.

I would like to try and get the engine going. Is there a troubleshooting guide of sorts which would show what to check in what order (ideally written for dummies).

The next thing will be to figure out what a logical sequence of disassembly would be should I go that route? What parts are worth putting on the shelf for my good LS? If you have any parts needs let me know, just realize it may be a while before I tackle the dissection.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
"The good news is that breaking this one up will likely keep mine and many others on the road for years to come"

Well, parting out ones like this will help ensure that there will be fewer on the road to keep running. Eventually there will be lots of parted out cars and one last one running on the road, either Steve's or mine.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Mike,

I saw your post and am interested in some motore parts in particular should you deem this is the direction you'll go. I have a complete Verde 3.0 ltr (spare of course) that I may install in my '84 GTV6 that I've had this engine for over 4 years. Yeah, go figure; projects, eh? The rebuilt 2.5 ltr is running so good that I haven't pressed the issue and there are budget constraints.

I may be interested in the pistons & jugs for my 3.0 engine if you choose that route. Timing belt damage can be catastrophic with an interference motor in my experience.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"The good news is that breaking this one up will likely keep mine and many others on the road for years to come"

Well, parting out ones like this will help ensure that there will be fewer on the road to keep running. Eventually there will be lots of parted out cars and one last one running on the road, either Steve's or mine.
Is someone wants to step up and try turning it into a runner then I am good with that. It will likely be a little while before i tear it down as i need to line up some space and time. Bringing her back to life is beyond my skills and I do not want to spend $6k to create a $3k car. Ironically, this would probably be a candidate worth saving IF you already had a parts car.

·
Premium Member
27,373 Posts
Del bud we can't save them all especially once the PO(s) has/have treated it like a disposable product.

We do try though.

·
Banned
764 Posts
I know what you mean there, Stevo. All 3 of my cars were crap when I bought them but more time than money actually, salvaged them to their heyday and even better in certain respects. I've coined them "orphans". These'll last 'til DMV takes my driver's license!!! Then I'll just sit parked with a Warsteiner or 2 or 3 or.. and rev the motors... Hardie, Har, Har****

"All universal moral principles are idle fancies."
Marquis de Sade

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
"These'll last 'til DMV takes my driver's license!!! Then I'll just sit parked with a Warsteiner or 2 or 3 or.. and rev the motors... Hardie, Har, Har****"

Exactly. My wife will have to figure out which Alfa she will keep after I am gone, as she really likes driving them, esp the Milano (I suspect that will be the one she'll take). We had the chance to drive a friend's new Audi A6, and concluded that while it was beautifully made, and well appointed, it was a very numb car to drive. After driving it, we got back into the Alfas and ended up remarking just how much more "alive and sensitive" the Alfas were, like going from 2D to 3D, or from monaural to 5 channel.

I think (with apologies, lol) that perhaps when someone decides to part out a viable Alfa, it's may be because they are not appreciating just how much better the driving experience is in one of these cars. They maybe fail to realize that there indeed may be a "fee" one must pay to restore the car, but just try to find another car for that price which will give the same experience. I'm always willing to pay that fee (same as spending money on a hobby or sport. I guess it is a hobby?), as I feel I am saving an icon of driving, not just counting the dollars and cents in my pocket at the time. I try to not get myself into that financial situation in order to own one of these cars, just as I don't get into a hobby or sport I cannot afford. Have never had a problem selling one of them later, as while it may take time, there is always someone out there who appreciates a well kept or restored Alfa.

Well, that's how I feel, anyway, having saved a few through the years.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Del,

Here's a quote I hear from a lot of guys after riding or driving one of these cars and you'll have to understand that they own newer cars like BMWs, Audis and Honda S2000. "Their cars do not exhibit the 'soul' that these cars possess".

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
No arguing that the Alfa provides a unique driving experience like no other. After my 91s I owned a bunch of different vehicles including BMW. All nice cars, all more reliable, none had 1/10th the soul. That is why I recently bought my '95 LS. I paid a premium for it, will spend yet more on it, and am reminded with each passing day how remarkably unique it is.

The "parts car" came along more recently. My reason for purchasing it was that I reaized parts are a lot harder to come by then when I had my 91. I figured this one will let mine stay on the road for many years to come.

It is a shame that this one was left uncared for with only 84k miles. If I had Steve's skills, more space, and a stash of spare parts I might try saving her. As it stands I do not even know if the engine is any good, let alone what else it might need. If I can get hee to start, with guidance from those here, I will then decide what happens next. Today I shampooed the carpets, cleaned the seats, and ran the ozonizer as the darn thing smells like the Seinfeld car. The only part I have salvaged so far is the rear ash tray!

Is someone wants to try and bring her to life I would probably sell her for what I spent on her. But honestly, I do not think there are too many people willing to bring back a non running 164.

For what it's worth, my other unique cars include my '68 Amphicar, 74 Porsche 914' and a '68 Olds Vista Cruiser. The Porsche is immaculate all original, the others have had lots of time and money spent on them. So, yes, I know what it means to see cars beyond the simple dollars and cents.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
YEah I get it too

I have had to part out 2 other 24V cars and while painful, in the end, really, its just a car. A cool and nice one, but c'mon, its a CAR and not a really rare or valuable one. Having 2 24V cars at present, its a lot of work to keep em running-- someday soon my 193K mile auto LS will bite the dust. I will be depressed but it will happen.

Mike-- things to consider - are your donor and main car both either 5 speed or auto? Speedo sensor for auto car is unobtanium. No good workaround that I know of. Windshield is available so dont take special pains on that. The brightwork (stainless) beltline is also hard to find so save that all the way around the car. Windshield trim pieces are rare and hard to source. Seems like there are lots of parts cars out there that make your runner even more rare and cool--- and thats great!

I wonder what your fuel pump assy looks like? I had one that sat for 2 years and honest, the gas smelled like lacquer. The whole fuel pump assy was gummed up and as hard as I tried ,would not come clean. Ended up throwing the whole bloody thing away as there was nothing salvagable!

All the electical bits - ecu, fusebox, abs box, window controller, mirror controller, etc etc keep em -- rarely go bad but when they do its dicey

Cat converter-- keep that esp since it has only 85K miles.

what is the color combo/xmission of the parts car? another greeen/tan?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It is champagne gold with black interior.

Noticed today no brake fluid in reservoir. Looking increasingly certain she will get parted. It is a shame as it is actually 82k miles and I suspect more damage was done from 2 years of sitting in improper storage than from anything else. Who knows what wires the mice may have chewed.

Do let me know anything else you suggest I keep. If anyone needs anything let me know as well. I will likely soon post something in the parts classifieds area of the bb.

·
Premium Member
27,373 Posts
You can't have to many Alfa 164 spare parts or can you! I may be reaching that point.

Driver and a spare way to go if you have the space.

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
"but c'mon, its a CAR and not a really rare or valuable one"

You mean to tell me I've been daily driving NOTHING BUT A CAR for the last 45 years? Crud! Might as well been driving some old slug Volvo or Ford Pinto. You mean to tell me I've not had any fun doing it, since it's just a car? Well, that's certainly the Consumer Reports idea of cars anyway, just another appliance to be used up.

Ah, maybe you guys are right, and I'll just have to go out looking for a used Chevy Cobalt. Will suit me just find I guess. Certainly a lot of heritage there, unlike my "just a car" Alfas. But then again, why should anyone care about that.

"Having 2 24V cars at present, its a lot of work to keep em running"

I'll have to look out for that some day, as I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop on excessive unreliability. I guess my 24V is on it's last legs, lol, like I was told about all the other Alfas I've used as daily drivers throughout my career, ie, no more failures than my neighbor's Honda Accord, or my father's Olds.

Maybe they are just another car now, chuckle, but I think I'll just stick with what I know, and appreciate Alfas for, if nothing else, what they were in the history of the Automobile.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
At Ease there soldier!

Del, go easy there ---along with life's surprises and sorrows , its just a car. Not just ANY car, but a car nonetheless -- and yes, we get joy from these alfas, and sometimes cuss em out, but in the end they will not love us back. Doesn;t mean we don;t like em tho! I sure do!

My situtation maybe different than yours in terms of time to keep these cars running. I run a volunteer sports program I started years ago, am on two Boards , president of my HOA, have a 16 and 11 year old, and a wife that also needs attention from time to time. I work about 11 hours per day on my real job and then attend to the 'other stuff' ; alfas included. Have in-laws that are in early stage Alzheimers and no one to care for them but us. In the end its all a choice about where to spend your time. For me, I;d rather be with my sons than working on the car.
Sorry if I upset you! It was not my intent I promise.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts